Aloo ka bharta recipe is the Indian style mashed potatoes recipe using mashed potatoes with onions and spices (aloo for masala dosa recipe).
The Kerala style version of this recipe I am presenting here is popularly known by the podimas recipe.
This kind of mashed potatoes (aloo ka bharta or podimas) is popularly used as filling for Indian lentil pancakes known as dosa (masala dosa when the dosa is filled with mashed potatoes).
This mashed potatoes or aloo ka bharta or podimas is popularly used as a side dish for Indian breads like chapati or poori also.
This Indian style mashed potatoes recipe is vegetarian as well as vegan.
Let us read more about this traditional Indian recipe made of potatoes and spices and then learn how to make this Indian style mashed potatoes recipe which is known by the names aloo ka bharta or podimas in India, which is the popular aloo for masala dosa recipe in South India.
Indian style mashed potatoes recipe with spices popularly known as aloo ka bharta recipe or aaloo ka bharta recipe is very easy to make and delicious when served with homemade Indian breads like chapatis, nan bread or even South Indian dosa made from lentils and rice. As I mentioned above, this kind of mashed potatoes with added spices and onions actually make a great filling for masala dosas in South India.
Mashed potatoes are always favorites of kids and adults alike. It is easy to prepare, and it goes well as a tasty side dish for so many breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes. In India, we usually prepare mashed potatoes along with onions and spices like turmeric and mustard seeds, and they are known by the name aloo ka bharta where aloo means potato.
The addition of onion and spices make the dish more healthy and tasty, plus it goes well with many more main course dishes.
This aloo ka bharta or podimas recipe for Indian mashed potatoes is very easy to make too, and most often it is used as a filling for Indian breads like chappathis or dosa, or you can use it as a side dish for those. Indian style mashed potatoes with mild spices is a kids favorite too.
Aloo Ka Bharta - Indian Style Mashed Potatoes Recipe Without Butter Or Milk
- aloo Potatoes 5
- Onions 2
- Turmeric 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Chop the onions and keep aside.
- Cook the potatoes very well till they are really soft, and can be mashed with your hands. In pressure cooker, it takes usually 4 to whistles or about 10 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are very well cooked, remove the skin and mash with hands. Little chunky pieces are fine.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add chopped onions and saute them well, until the onions are slightly browned.
- Add mashed potatoes, salt and turmeric powder, mix well.
- You can stir well all the ingredients in the pan for one or two more minutes and then switch off the flame.