Aval payasam recipe also known as poha kheer recipe is a simple and popular Indian style dessert pudding made using rice flakes, milk and sugar.
This aval payasam with condensed milk can be easily made for Kerala style Onam sadya or any occasion where you want to enjoy a delicious, simple payasam (kheer).
Aval payasam or kheer is popularly made using jaggery but we can make this using milk and sugar too and you can make this yummy payasam or kheer pudding for any special occasions or celebrations like Diwali or Onam sadya.
In this aval payasam recipe, I used milkmaid which is sweetened condensed milk (you can use any other sweetened condensed milk too), along with little more sugar and also few other ingredients, which makes this pudding really yummy and super easy to make.
As I mentioned above we use rice flakes to make this pudding or poha kheer.
There are different varieties of rice flakes (poha or aval) like thick poha or thin poha, and we use thin poha (thin rice flakes) itself to make this payasam, as it is easy to cook.
Poha kheer may also be made using thick poha, but in this poha kheer recipe (aval payasam recipe) we use thin poha.
The use of sweetened condensed milk make the puddings and kheer really very creamy and yummy.
More Recipes In This Blog With Sweetened Condensed Milk:
I have a post for easy vermicelli pudding recipe using sweetened condensed milk, and also yummy rice kheer or pudding using condensed milk, which are also a very yummy and popular Indian desserts.
and instant pot rice pudding with condensed milk which are all very yummy and creamy milk based desserts.
The aval payasam recipe is easy to follow, but it is very important to make sure that you use thin poha for this recipe.
If using thick poha, the cooking time will change, and you may need to grind the poha before you make the payasam as it can take long to cook otherwise.
Once the rice flakes (aval or poha) is cooked and soft, you have to remove the cooking pan from the stove top or the mixture can turn mushy soon losing any texture although it is very normal for poha to break down during the making of the kheer.
The garnishing for this aval payasam pudding using fried cashews and raisins is optional, but you can always add the garnishing if you wish which will make it more delicious.
I didn’t use the garnishing and if you just want a simple rice flakes pudding for dessert, you may not need to use the garnishing ingredients.
So here is how I made this aval payasam or poha kheer using this easy aval payasam recipe with milkmaid.
Most important ingredients for this recipe – thin poha and sweetened condensed milk
Easy Aval Payasam With Condensed Milk Recipe Below
Aval Payasam Recipe With Condensed Milk
- 3 cups Thin Poha or thin aval (thin rice flakes)
- 8 cups Milk
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 6 tablespoons Sugar
- 5 saffron strands optional
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom powder optional
- 400 grams Milkmaid or another sweetened condensed milk 400 gram
For Garnishing (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cashews
- 1 teaspoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- In a large, thick bottomed pan, heat 2 tablespoons of ghee and lightly fry the poha/ aval for about one to two minutes until the poha is lightly roasted.
- Add the milk to the pan with the poha/aval (rice flakes), also add the cardamom and saffron strands if using, mix everything well and bring the mixture to a boil by cooking in medium heat, stirring frequently. If you do not stir frequently the milk may burn at the bottom of the pan so make sure to stir continuously.
- Once the mixture stars boiling, slightly reduce the heat and cook the mixture until the poha or aval turns soft which may take 2 to 3 minutes of time (cooking times may slightly vary based on the thickness or brand of poha you are using). Keep stirring to avoid burning the kheer.
- Once the poha is cooked well and soft (the poha will break down into small pieces which is normal for poha kheer) add the milkmaid (sweetened condensed milk), stir well and cook in very low heat for another 1 more minute (keep stirring).
- Add the sugar also to the pan, stir very well until the sugar is dissolved and immediately transfer the kheer from the hot stove to let it cool down. As the kheer cools down, stir the kheer a few times in between occasionally, say for every 5 to 10 minutes, otherwise layers of milk fat may form on top. You can enjoy this simple yet yummy rice flakes pudding as it is or you can prepare the ingredients for garnishing the pudding and add to it.
Instructions to prepare the garnishing
- To prepare the garnishing, heat the 1 tablespoon of ghee in a small pan and add the cashews.
- When the cashews turn light golden brown in color, add the raisins and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the fried cashews and raisins to the poha kheer and gently mix the contents. Enjoy the poha kheer warm or chilled!
Hope you found this post on aval payasam recipe or poha kheer recipe helpful!