Besan ka halwa or North Indian Punjabi style halwa made using chickpea flour is one of the most easy halwa (fudge kind of Indian sweet) that you can make quickly with very few ingredients.
Chickpea flour is naturally gluten free and its protein rich as well, so desserts made using chickpea flour, like this chickpea flour halwa (besan ka halwa), make great gluten free desserts as well!
This chickpea flour halwa using gluten free chickpea flour, ghee and few other ingredients recipe is one of the most easy way to prepare the halwa, as this is a one pot dessert made quickly and easily.
This is a gluten free chickpea flour fudge like dessert, popularly known as besan ka halwa in hindi language.
You can make besan ka halwa without milk or using milk, as that is your preference. If you want it more calorie rich and dense, you can use milk instead of water. T
his is an easy besan ka halwa recipe without milk and so it has a dark brown color once its cooked. You may also use brown sugar instead of white sugar if you wish.
Besan ka halwa made in a different way (not this recipe, its a variation) is used as one of the best natural remedies for cold and cough, when mixed with turmeric, pepper powder etc (we do not make it like that here since we want a sweet dessert), because of the medicinal properties of turmeric, black pepper etc and also because chickpea flour is good for health and naturally gluten free as well.
Sooji ka halwa using sooji flour is another very easy and popular halwa recipe from India, but personally I love besan ka halwa more than sooji ka halwa, since I feel it has the best texture and its even more easy to prepare.
The best way to enjoy besan ka halwa is to enjoy it while its still warm, as the halwa just melts in your mouth while its still warm and has a smooth texture.
You can slice the this halwa in pieces if you cool it for a while and you can slice it even better if you refrigerate he halwa (you can store this in refrigerator for about a week), but I recommend warming the cold halwa before serving (microwave for 30 seconds) as the warm halwa tastes the best!
So here is how you can easily and quickly make a delicious halwa using chickpea flour following this easy chickpea floura halwa recipe.
Besan Ka Halwa Recipe (Gluten Free Chickpea Flour Dessert) Below
Besan Ka Halwa, How To Make Indian Style Chickpea Flour Halwa At Home
- 1 cup besan flour (chickpea flour)
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 2 teaspoons extra ghee
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped nuts optional
- Sieve the besan flour (chickpea flour), make sure there is no lumps, keep it aside.
- Heat 1/2 cup of ghee in a pan and add the sieved besan flour.
- Keep in low heat and mix the flour very well with the ghee, if any lumps are formed you can break them using a good quality spatula, this is important since we need a smooth texture for the halwa.
- Roast the mixture in low heat for about 1 to 2 minutes (you need to keep stirring) or until the mixture starts to turn color. The flour can quickly burn so if you think its getting roasted fast, you may switch off the stove and give a little time to cool down the mixture a little.
- Once the mixture is roasted, add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Add the water, mix well (break any lumps that may form using the spatula) and cook the mixture for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the flour is cooked well and the water is almost absorbed.
- Add the sugar, mix well and cook in low heat (while stirring) for another 2 minutes or until the mixture starts leaving from the sides of the pan.
- Add one teaspoon of ghee and cook for another 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- After one minute, add the next spoon of ghee also and cook for another 1 more minute. Now the delicious and easy besan ki halwa is ready, though you may cook for more time if you wish to reach your preferred consistency.
- Transfer the halwa to a serving dish, garnish with chopped nuts, serve hot or warm! You may also refrigerate the halwa and serve it later as you wish.
Hope you found this post on easy Indian style halwa made of chickpea flour (easy gluten free Indian style chickpea flour dessert recipe) helpful in making easy and delicious dessert!