Easy Broccoli And Cauliflower Rice Recipe – Easy One Pot Pulao Style Rice Recipe Using Broccoli & Cauliflower (Not Without Rice) – How To Make Simple Cauliflower Broccoli Pilaf/Pulao Style Rice
This broccoli and cauliflower rice recipe or cauliflower broccoli rice pilaf recipe or pulao recipe is easy to follow and you can make this rice for a vegetarian lunch or dinner. This recipe is an excellent way to use up any leftover cauliflower rice that you have, if you are looking to make any regular pilaf style dishes for lunch or dinner using the left over cauliflower rice and also other veggies.
This recipe is not free of rice as we cook rice along with broccoli florets and cauliflower crumbles to make the pulao kind of rice. I am just saying this in advance as many of the “cauliflower rice” recipes are free of real rice.
This recipe is a great way to use broccoli and cauliflower crumbles, if you have any, along with rice for lunch or dinner.
The recipe needs a sauce but I didn’t wanted to use soy sauce, so here is what I have used for the sauce – raw coconut aminos seasoning sauce. This sauce doesn’t have a coconut flavor and it is a great alternative to soy sauce in cooking.
This is not a traditional or authentic pulao recipe, this is something I made for lunch on an afternoon recently, in pulao style, which turned out really yummy yet simple and easy to make.
Serve this broccoli and cauliflower rice with any vegetarian curry or chutney and you can easily have a great meal for lunch or dinner. I used fresh broccoli florets and cauliflower crumbles to make this vegetarian broccoli and cauliflower rice. I also added two carrots (chopped) to this rice, which made it even more yummy and healthy.
I decided to go mild on spices for this rice as I wanted a simple broccoli and cauliflower rice which is not very spicy. However, the broccoli and cauliflower rice recipe is very flexible and you can adjust the recipe and add your favorite spices as you wish.
I just used vegetable oil to saute the vegetables, to keep this recipe vegan as well, but you may replace the oil with butter if you don’t want it vegan. Adding butter instead of oil will make the rice more rich and flavorful too.
Adding caramelized or browned onions will further add flavor to this dish, although I skipped onions in this recipe and it was still very delicious without onions. Feel free to add caramelized or browned onions to the rice if you wish.
I used a stored bought packet of cauliflower rice which looked like cauliflower crumbles to make this dish. You can chop the cauliflower finely to make the cauliflower rice or cauliflower crumbles to use for this recipe.
So here is how you can make this broccoli and cauliflower rice following this easy one pot broccoli and cauliflower rice recipe.
Broccoli And Cauliflower Rice Recipe
Ingredients for broccoli and cauliflower rice recipe
- broccoli head 1
- cauliflower crumbles 3 cups
- carrots 2 large
- white basmati rice 1.5 cups
- salt as required
- water 3.5 cups
- onion powder 2 teaspoons
- ginger garlic paste 2 tablespoons
- lemon juice 1 tablespoon
- oil 2 tablespoons
- dry red chilies 5 to 6
- raw coconut aminos seasoning sauce (Soy free) 2 tablespoons
Instructions for broccoli and cauliflower rice recipe
- Wash the rice, drain the water and keep aside.
- Wash the broccoli head and separate the florets discarding the stalks.
- Wash the carrots, peel the skin and slice them in round even slices.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the red chilies.
- Add the broccoli florets and carrots to the pan and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes until the vegetables are lightly sauteed.
- Add the cauliflower crumbles, saute the contents for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and onion powder to the sauteed vegetables, stir fry the contents for another 2 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan, stir well to mix with the vegetables.
- Add the lemon juice and enough salt to the contents, stir everything well and lightly stir fry the contents for 2 minutes in low heat.
- Add the water to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil, keeping the heat high.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, stir the contents well again and close the pan with the lid and cook in low heat for about 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes of cooking, open the lid and see if the rice is cooked and the water is all absorbed.
- If the rice is not completely cooked and water is left(sometimes the cooking time can vary based on the kind of pans you are using and also the heat distribution of different kinds of stove) you can keep the pan closed with lid and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the water is all absorbed.
- Finally add the sauce to the cooked rice, stir the contents well and stir fry for another 2 more minutes.
- In case the water is all absorbed and the rice is not yet completely cooked, don’t add anymore water, but heat a good cast iron skillet and keep the closed pan inside the skillet and cook in medium to low heat for few minutes until the rice is cooked completely. You can use this method for any kind of rice recipe you are trying in pans, in case the rice is not completely cooked and the water is all absorbed. Just make sure you don’t do this for a long time and check in between to avoid the rice burning at the bottom of the pan.
- Serve the broccoli and cauliflower rice pulao with any of your favorite vegetarian curry like this easy chickpea curry or any chutney of your choice and fresh yogurt if you like.
Hope you found this post on broccoli and cauliflower rice recipe helpful!