Brown Rice Green Mung Beans Khichdi/kitchari Recipe With Coconut – Healthy Brown Rice Recipe
Green Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe – Brown Rice Khichdi Recipe
Khichdi/kitchari Recipe Using Brown Rice And Green Mung Beans – Easy Pressure Cooker Khichdi Recipe Using Coconut
Brown Rice Green Mung Beans Khichdi/kitchari Recipe – Healthy, Easy Quick One Pot Vegetarian Vegan Khichdi/kitchari Recipe
How To Make Khichdi/Kitchari Recipe With Brown Rice And Green Mung Beans – Khichdi/Kitchari Recipe From Scratch
Brown rice kitchari recipe or green mung bean khichdi or kitchari recipe is so easy to follow recipe and the dish is very healthy as well as delicious. I have used Thai brown rice but you can use any other brown rice as well, but cooking times may vary according to the type of brown rice used. I used a pressure cooker to cook the one pot brown rice green mung bean khichdi, which made cooking so easy.
I used Thai brown rice, the brand which has a usual cooking time of 20 minutes (if cooking in a pan on stove top other than pressure cooker) for this recipe. If you are using a different kind of brown rice cooking time of the rice may vary.
Khichdi or kitchari is a mix of rice and lentils sometimes with vegetables, but here my recipe for brown rice green mung bean khichdi uses coconut as the third main ingredient and the flavor is wonderful. If you have never tried adding coconut in your khichdi or kitchari recipe, please try it once to see how you like it.
The most popular and simple khichdi recipe uses white rice and yellow moong dal, which is very healthy, simple to prepare and delicious as well. Using brown rice and green mung beans (the skin of green mung bean is removed to obtain yellow moong dal) makes the dish even more healthy as we are using whole grain and lentils here.
I have more green mung beans (green moong dal) recipes in my blog. See my post on green mung beans curry (cherupayar curry) here and see my post on green mung beans thoran recipe (cherupayar thoran) here.
Adding coconut to the brown rice kitchari recipe or khichdi was experimental, but it turned out really delicious. If you love the flavor of coconut and if you love khichdi/kitchari recipes, do try out this brown rice green moong dal khichdi which is delicious, quick to make and delicious too!
If you are using this brown rice kitchari recipe to make this khichdi for babies or small kids, avoid using the red chilies that I am using for this recipe. Also I have not used many spices in this dish, but you can add a little turmeric powder or red chili powder if you like!
Khichdi without chilies or chili powder won’t be spicy and without chilies it makes an excellent food for kids as the texture is soft and easy for kids to eat. Khichdi is very healthy as well as we are using a combination of grains and legumes or lentils which give enough fiber and protein for the kids. This brown rice green moong dal khichdi is even more healthy as we are using whole grains and whole mung beans which has more health benefits.
Makes 3 to 4 servings
Ingredients for brown rice kitchari recipe – green moong dal khichdi recipe with coconut
- Brown Rice (I used Thai brown rice) 1 Cup
- Green mung beans (green moong dal) 1/2 cup
- grated coconut 3/4 cup
- water 4 cups
- Salt as required
- cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- red chilies 4 to 5 (optional, avoid the chilies if making for babies or small kids)
- coconut oil 2 tablespoons
Instructions for brown rice kitchari recipe – green moong dal mung beans khichdi kitchari recipe
- Wash the brown rice and soak in water for about half an hour.
- After soaking, drain the water, rinse the rice lightly and keep it aside.
- Wash the green mung beans also and keep it aside along with rice, you can keep rice and mung beans together in a bowl (it is not necessary to soak the green mung beans before cooking)
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- As the cumin seeds are fried, add the red chilies and fry for few seconds.
- Add the brown rice and green mung beans, saute for a few seconds until the rice beans mixture is well coated with the seasoning.
- Add the coconut and saute for another 1 minute.
- Add the salt and water, mix everything well. Now the one pot pressure cooker khichdi – kitchari mixture is ready to be cooked.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook in medium heat for about 10 minutes or until 3 to 4 whistles come. (make sure you use the safety valve of the cooker and follow all directions in the manual for your safety while using pressure cooker).
- After 10 minutes of cooking, you can switch off the stove and wait for the pressure cooker to cool down.
- Once the pressure cooker is cooled, you can open the cooker and see if the rice and beans are cooked well and if the water is absorbed enough (little water is fine as it will get absorbed gradually and many khichdi recipes even call for retaining some water).
The texture of the khichdi or kitchari is quite mushy and sticky but it is delicious and soft!
Enjoy the brown rice green mung beans khichdi as it is or with little fresh yogurt or raitha or any vegetable salads or curry or dal or dry coconut chutney as you wish!
Hope you found this easy quick brown rice kitchari recipe or khichdi recipe with whole green mung beans helpful!