Cabbage thoran Kerala style recipe or South Indian cabbage poriyal recipe(without onions) is a healthy, yummy and easy cabbage stir fry with coconut and mild spices which is also served for Kerala style traditional feast like onam sadya.
Cabbage thoran Kerala style recipe is pretty easy to make and you really can’t find out its cabbage unless you know its cabbage. The dish won’t look like its cabbage but its very delicious and one of the popular dishes for Kerala style feast.
Cabbage thoran is not just prepared for feasts, it is also often prepared at homes as a delicious vegetarian side dish with rice for lunch or dinner in South India.
You can finely chop the cabbage using a knife or to make your job easy, you can use a good quality food processor (which can finely chop the cabbage) or use this cabbage shredder which can shred the cabbage perfectly.
As I mentioned, cabbage thoran is a vegetarian/vegan dish prepared by stir frying cabbage with coconut and spices. Sometimes, often while preparing for the feast, the dish is cooked into a lightly browned fry which is very delicious.
In fact, as you stir fry the finely chopped cabbage more and more, the dish turns more delicious. However this step is not a must.
At home, we mostly chop them finely (as much as possible and convenient) and then cook the cabbage with coconut and spices to a desired consistency, which is also very yummy but the texture turns quite different and most delicious if we choose to roast the cabbage more so it lightly browns.
So here is how you can prepare cabbage thoran following this easy cabbage thoran Kerala style recipe.
Cabbage Thoran Kerala Style Recipe – Cabbage Stir Fry Recipe With Coconut
Cabbage Thoran/Cabbage Poriyal Kerala Style Recipe
- 1/2 medium sized Cabbage
- 2 cups Grated or shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons Garlic minced or crushed
- 2 green chilies chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 red chilies optional
- curry leaves a few
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Wash the half of a cabbage and chop it very finely. As I already mentioned above, you can use a food processor or this cabbage shredder to chop the cabbage finely, which will also make the job very easy.
- Grind together the coconut, garlic and cumin seeds in a food processor for a few seconds. No need to grind this too smoothly. Keep this grind coconut aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter add the red chilies and curry leaves, fry for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped cabbage, green chilies and salt, mix well and stir fry in medium heat for about 4 to 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat as needed in case the leaves are getting browned quickly.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook in very low heat for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the cabbage is cooked enough.
- Once the cabbage is cooked, add the grind coconut (grind with cumin seeds and garlic) to the pan, mix everything well.
- Add the turmeric powder and red chili powder and stir the contents very well.
- Close the pan with the lid and cook again for another 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, open the pan and stir fry the contents for another few minutes (2 minutes is enough) so the dish gets slightly roasted. You can roast this for more time if you wish. If you roast this for more time, the dish will get more crispy and more delicious (but that is not necessary). Cabbage thoran is ready to be served, enjoy this as a side dish with rice for lunch or dinner!
More Pictures From The Preparation Of Cabbage Thoran/Cabbage Stir Fry With Coconut & Spices
Hope you found this post on cabbage thoran Kerala style recipe helpful!