Carrot Thoran Kerala Style Recipe – Stir fried carrots with coconut and spices for lunch or dinner – How to make carrot thoran
Carrot thoran Kerala style recipe is an easy to follow recipe where you can make easy, super quick and delicious stir fried carrots with coconut and spices. This is also known as carrot poriyal recipe in other parts of South India.
Carrot thoran is a simple and yummy South Indian Kerala style carrot stir fry which is a very easy, healthy and quick side dish which is enjoyed with rice for lunch or dinner. Carrot is super easy to make and you can chop the carrot in advance if you wish, which will help you to make the dish even quicker.
To make carrot thoran or carrot stir fry with coconut and spices, you can either chop the carrots finely or you can grate or shred the carrots.
However, you can chop the carrots or grate or shred them as you wish. Shredding the carrots is easy and the size of the shredded pieces are just perfect to make the carrot thoran so quickly. So here we are explaining the carrot thoran recipe using the shredded carrots which requires very minimal time for cooking. If you cut the carrots just cut them in small pieces.
See similar thoran recipes like cabbage thoran, cauliflower thoran, cherupayar thoran (green mung bean thoran), broccoli thoran etc which too are prepared in similar methods and make great side dishes with rice for lunch or dinner.
So here is how you can make this easy and quick carrot thoran or carrot stir fry with coconut following this easy carrot thoran Kerala style recipe.
Carrot Thoran Kerala Style Recipe
- Carrots 2 large
- grated coconut 1.5 cups
- coconut oil 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- red chilies 3 to 4
- curry leaves a few
- turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- crushed garlic 1 to 2 small cloves
- green chilies 1
- cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- salt as needed
- Wash and peel the carrots, shred the carrots in a food processor or you can grate the carrots using a grater. Keep the shredded carrots aside.
- Grind the coconut, green chilies, cumin seeds and garlic coarsely in a food processor for a few seconds, you may sprinkle a little water if the mixture is too dry. Keep this aside separately from the shredded carrots.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the red chilies and curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the shredded carrots to the pan, and stir fry the carrots in low heat for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the grind coconut mixture to the pan, salt and add the remaining spices - turmeric powder and red chili powder to the pan and stir well the contents.
- Stir fry the contents for another 2 more minutes and the stir fried carrots with coconut and spices is ready to be served!
- Enjoy the carrot thoran and stir fried carrots with coconut and spices along with a curry like moru curry and rice for lunch or dinner!
Hope you found this post on carrot thoran Kerala style recipe helpful in making a yummy, easy, quick and healthy carrot stir fry for an easy side dish with rice for lunch or dinner.