Carrot thoran Kerala style recipe is an easy to follow recipe where you can make easy, super quick and delicious stir fried carrots with coconut and spices. Carrot thoran is also known as carrot poriyal in other parts of South India.
Carrot thoran is a simple and yummy South Indian Kerala style carrot stir fry which is a very easy, healthy and quick side dish which is enjoyed with rice for lunch or dinner.
Carrot thoran is super easy to make and you can chop the carrot in advance if you wish, which will help you to make the dish even quicker.
To make carrot thoran or carrot stir fry with coconut and spices, you can either chop the carrots finely or you can grate or shred the carrots.
However, you can chop the carrots or grate or shred them as you wish. Shredding the carrots is easy and the size of the shredded pieces are just perfect to make the carrot thoran so quickly.
So here we are explaining the carrot poriyal recipe using the shredded carrots which requires very minimal time for cooking.
If you cut the carrots instead of shreading or grating, just cut them in small pieces.
How To Make Indian Carrot Thoran (Carrot Stir Fry With Coconut)?
Ingredients to make carrot thoran or carrot poriyal
2 large carrots
1.5 cups grated coconut
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
4 red chilies dried (broken)
1 string curry leaves (make sure no water in the leaves)
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon red chili powder
2 small garlic cloves crushed
1 green chilies
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
salt adjust to taste
Step By Step Instructions
After washing and peeling the carrots, shred or grate the carrots and keep it aside (you may also just finely chop the carrots instead).
Grind the coconut, green chilies, cumin seeds and garlic coarsely and keep this separate from the shredded carrots.
To make a seasoning, heat oil in a large pan and add the mustard seeds.
When the mustard seeds splutter, add the broken dried red chilies and curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
Transfer the shredded carrots also to the pan, and stir fry the carrots in low heat for about two minutes. Now add the grind coconut mixture also to the pan along with salt and remaining spices - turmeric powder and red chili powder.
Stir everything and stir fry the contents for another 2 more minutes until all ingredients are combined well. Now the carrot thoran or carrot poriyal is ready to be served!
See similar thoran recipes like cabbage thoran, cauliflower thoran, cherupayar thoran (green mung bean thoran), broccoli thoran etc which too are prepared in similar methods and make great side dishes with rice for lunch or dinner.
So here is how you can make this easy and quick carrot poriyal or carrot stir fry with coconut following this easy carrot thoran Kerala style recipe.
Carrot Thoran (Carrot Poriyal) - Carrot Coconut Stir Fry
- Wash and peel the carrots, shred or grate the carrots in a food processor or you can grate the carrots using a grater. Keep the shredded carrots aside (you may also just finely chop the carrots instead).
- Grind the coconut, green chilies, cumin seeds and garlic coarsely in a food processor for a few seconds, you may sprinkle a little water if the mixture is too dry. Keep this aside separately from the shredded carrots.
- Heat oil in a large pan, add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the broken dried red chilies and curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the shredded carrots to the pan, and stir fry the carrots in low heat for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the grind coconut mixture to the pan, salt and add the remaining spices - turmeric powder and red chili powder to the pan and stir well the contents.
- Stir fry the contents for another 2 more minutes and the stir fried carrots with coconut and spices is ready to be served!
- Enjoy the carrot thoran and stir fried carrots with coconut and spices along with a curry like moru curry and rice for lunch or dinner!