Cauliflower coconut curry Indian recipe using fresh cauliflower florets (you may also use frozen cauliflower florets instead) and coconut is so easy to prepare and delicious too.
You can enjoy this as a tasty, healthy and easy vegetarian/vegan side dish with chapati or poori or bhatura.
You may also enjoy this as as side dish with rice for lunch or dinner. Pairing it with cooked quinoa or brown rice will make the meal even more healthier and more delicious too.
How To Make Vegetarian/Vegan Cauliflower Coconut Curry
This cauliflower coconut curry is rich and delicious with coconut, cashews and spices along with crunchy and delicious stir fried cauliflower florets.
One important spice that adds much flavor to this dish is black pepper.
I like to use ground black pepper powder as well as whole black peppercorns to this cauliflower cashew curry which makes it so delicious, and the addition of black pepper is very healthy too.
Coriander powder is another important spice that adds flavor to this dish, without shouldn’t be missed.
This cauliflower cashew curry resembles South Indian Chettinad style gravies in preparation and taste as we use coconut and black pepper as some of the main ingredients, though I didn’t roast the coconut for this recipe.
It is so simple, easy and quick to prepare this delicious cauliflower coconut curry, which doesn’t have too much gravy. But it has just enough gravy which is coated in the cauliflower florets to enjoy with chapathi or poori or rice.
You may slightly increase the amount of gravy if you wish by adding little more water.
You can prepare this cauliflower coconut curry using freshly grated coconut or unsweetened shredded coconut.
The addition of raw cashews to the coconut to prepare the base for the gravy make the curry more rich, delicious and flavorful.
See my post on cauliflower cashew curry without coconut here which too is an easy to make delicious vegan cauliflower curry.
So here is how you can prepare this easy cauliflower coconut curry following this easy cauliflower coconut curry recipe.
Cauliflower Coconut Curry Indian Recipe
- 1 medium sized cauliflower head
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt adjust as needed
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil add a little more if needed
- 1 string curry leaves
- black peppercorns a few
- 2 cloves
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves chopped for garnishing
- Wash the cauliflower and separate the florets, keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in an iron skillet (or a pan or kadai), and add the cloves and cauliflower florets.
- Add salt and let it cook in low heat for about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of water and cook in low heat for another 3 to 4 minutes until the florets start to shrink.
- Add garlic powder, increase the heat to medium and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until the florets start turning lightly brown. You may add a little more oil if needed.
- Meanwhile, grind together the coconut, cashews and remaining 1 cup of water in a blender to make a base for the curry (may soak the cashews in water for few minutes in advance if you prefer it to be more creamy, but it is not necessary for this recipe).
- Once the cauliflower florets are lightly browned, add the coconut cashew mixture to the cauliflower florets, gently mix the contents.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder, mix and cook the contents for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves, black peppercorns and remaining one tablespoon of coconut oil, gently stir the contents.
- Finally add the chopped coriander leaves and switch off the stove. The delicious cauliflower coconut cashew curry is ready to be served!
Hope you found this post on cauliflower coconut curry Indian recipe helpful in making easy, healthy and delicious cauliflower coconut curry for chapathi, poori or rice.
Last Updated on