Cheera Ozhichu Curry For Rice – Quick Easy Indian Spinach Coconut Curry Kerala Style Recipe Without Yogurt
Indian Cheera Curry With Coconut – Indian Spinach Cheera Curry Without Parippu Dal – Easy Vegan Spinach Coconut Curry Recipe – Easy Vegan Dinners Meals
Cheera ozhichu curry for rice is an Indian spinach coconut curry recipe which is also a Kerala style spinach coconut curry recipe which is vegetarian as well as vegan curry. This vegan curry is perfect for rice if you are following a vegan or vegetarian diet. The words cheera ozhichu curry in malayalam language can be translated as spinach curry which can be poured over rice and you can just mix and eat the rice.
In India the spinach curry is most popularly made with dal or lentils to make spinach dal or spinach lentil recipes. However, in the South Indian state of Kerala, we like to pair almost everything with the tropical coconut flavor (coconut is abundantly available in Kerala) and so this spinach coconut gravy or curry recipe is also made in the same way.
This kind of simple vegan Kerala style curries are popularly used as the main side dish for rice especially for Kerala style vegetarian or vegan dinners. The recipe is very flexible you can always personalize the recipe by adding your own favorite flavors 🙂
If you are from India, you can buy Indian spices online by clicking here and Indian Masalas And Curry Powder – Buy Online From Here
As I mentioned above this spinach curry is not only vegetarian but it is vegan as well which means this spinach coconut curry is free from diary products like yogurt.
The gravy of the dish is prepared by blending fresh coconut with water and spices.
The spinach is slightly sauteed and cooked along with few spices and then the coconut gravy is added and blended into the curry by cooking in very low heat. This spinach coconut curry is a perfect side dish for rice especially if you want a Kerala style ozhichu curry without yogurt.
You can try other vegetables and different spice combinations as well, however, this spinach coconut combination along with blended spices is very simple yet delicious when served with brown rice or white rice for lunch or dinner.
So here is my recipe for cheera ozhichu curry for rice – Indian spinach coconut curry Kerala style recipe.
Cheera Ozhichu Curry Recipe For Rice – Indian Spinach Coconut Curry Recipe
Ingredients required to make spinach coconut curry
- Spinach 2 cups
- grated Coconut 2 Cups
- Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
- red chili powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Garlic crushed 1 teaspoon
- Green chilies 1 to 2
- Salt as required
- Water 2 to 3 cups
Ingredients for seasoning
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Red chilies 3 to 4 (optional)
- Curry leaves a few (optional)
- Oil 2 tablespoons
Instructions to prepare cheera ozhichu curry for rice – Indian spinach coconut curry recipe Kerala style
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds starts spluttering add red chilies and curry leaves fry for a few seconds.
- Add the spinach to the pan along with salt, cook in low heat for about 4 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile let us prepare the coconut spice blend for the gravy.
- In a bowl, mix well the remaining ingredients – coconut and spices, garlic, green chilies and water. Blend all the ingredients in the bowl together to make the coconut gravy for the curry.
- Add this blended coconut gravy to the spinach, mix well and cook in high heat. Meanwhile check if the salt is enough, if needed more you can add now.
- Once the curry is about to start boiling, switch the stove and transfer the curry to the serving dishes!
- Serve the curry hot with rice for lunch or dinner!
You can read more about my post on ozhichu curry for rice here which explains well all about Kerala style curry recipes perfect for vegetarian or vegan lunches.