Cherupayar Curry Kerala Style Recipe – Green Gram Curry With Coconut Kerala Recipe – Pachai Payaru Curry With Coconut
Cherupayar Curry With Coconut Kerala Style Recipe For Rice, Kanji
Easy Cherupayar Ozhichu Curry For Rice, Chapathi & Dosa – Healthy Easy Indian Lentil Curry Recipe With Green Grams
Green Gram/Mung Beans Curry Recipe – Cooked Green Mung beans With Coconut Gravy
Cherupayar curry Kerala style recipe (cherupayar curry with coconut) or Kerala style green mung beans curry (green grams curry recipe which is a very easy healthy lentil recipe) with gravy makes a very easy to make, simple and tasty side dish for rice when served for lunch or dinner. Cherupayar curry (cherupayar is the malayalam word for green mung beans or green grams)also makes a popular side dish for breakfast items as well as Indian homemade flat breads like chapati or nan.
This cherupayar churry also known as cherupayar ozhichu curry recipe is one of the best ozhichu curry for rice, chapathi or dosa. By the word ozhichu curry, it is meant that you can pour this curry over rice and mix and enjoy.
This green mung bean curry or cherupayar curry is also a very healthy lentil recipe where we cook the healthy green gram or mung bean lentils along with coconut and spices.
Green mung beans or green grams is cooked with extra water and coconut paste along with very few spices is added to make this yummy curry known as cherupayar curry. The word cherupayar in Malayalam can be translated as small beans which refers to the green mung beans.
As I have already mentioned, green mung beans is also known as green grams and they are very healthy small sized lentils with green color skin. Recipes using green mung beans as the main ingredient are very delicious, healthy and easy to prepare. This indian lentil curry recipe using whole green skinned mung bean with fresh coconut and spices is healthy, vegetarian, vegan and this is made easy too.
You can make this delicious cherupayar curry easily in a pressure cooker.
You don’t have to soak the green mung beans in advance to cooking. Yes, this is very easy. You can just directly cook them in pressure cooker and they are ready to serve.
Since we are preparing a curry recipe using lentils which needs gravy in it, we are using the ratio of 1:6 (1 cup of green grams: 6 cups of water).
However if you need less gravy, you can always reduce the amount of water ( for no gravy the ratio is 1:3 so adjust the amount of water according to the amount of gravy you need)
So here the ingredients you need to prepare this easy cherupayar curry Kerala style recipe
- Cherupayar or green mung beans (green grams ) 1 Cup
- Grated coconut or coconut flakes 1 cup
- turmeric 1/4 tsp
- red chili powder (optional) 1/4 tsp
- Crushed garlic or garlic flakes 1 tsp
- Dry Coriander Powder 1 to2 tablespoons
- Masala curry powder 1 to 2 tsp
- Salt as required
- Water 5 to 6 Cups
For seasoning (Ingredients required for seasoning cherupayar curry Kerala style recipe) – Indian lentil curry recipe using green grams or green mung beans whole
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Red chilies a few (optional)
- Curry leaves a few (optional)
Instructions to prepare cherupayar curry Kerala Style recipe – Green mung beans curry in pressure cooker recipe – Green Gram curry recipe – Indian lentil curry recipe
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and splutter mustard seeds.
- Fry red chilies and curry leaves to make the tadka or seasoning.
- Add the green grams (mung beans or cherupayar), coconut and all spices, mix everything well and slightly saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the water and salt, mix everything well and close the pressure cooker with the lid(don’t forget the valve and always follow the instructions in the manual for safety).
- Cook for about 7 to 8 minutes or until 1 whistle (some pressure cookers have whistle feature).
- Switch off the stove after the above mentioned time, your curry should be cooked and ready by this time.
- Allow the pressure cooker to cool down.
- Once the pressure cooker is cooled enough, you can open the lid of the pressure cooker.
Serve the cherupayar curry hot or at room temperature for lunch or dinner along with rice or any bread as you wish!
Notes: This cherupayar curry Kerala style recipe is one of the most healthy lentil recipes and we have other Kerala style recipes made out of this green gram or cherupayar. Even we have more ways to prepare this cheurpayar curry, including recipes without coconut and recipes with adding other vegetables to the curry. They are all healthy vegetarian lentil recipes full of protein and fiber. I hope to post more lentil recipes soon!