Coconut Oats Upma Indian Recipe Kerala Style – Simple Coconut Oats Upma Indian Recipe For Breakfast – Easy Coconut Upma Kid Friendly Recipe – Easy Simple Coconut Upma South Indian Recipe Without Vegetables
Coconut oats upma Indian recipe is a South Indian Kerala style simple oats upma recipe (oatmeal upma recipe) without vegetables which you can quickly and easily prepare for breakfast. In the below picture, you can see this simple and easy coconut oats upma served with bananas.
Upma is an Indian recipe for breakfast where we cook various kinds of grains mostly with vegetables and the most popularly sooji rava or semolina flour is used to make upma. Here we use oats to make the upma and we make it so easy and simple without vegetables but we add coconut in this oats upma recipe which will make it delicious, yet very simple and easy to prepare.
In Kerala, coconut is used in a lot of recipes and if you love the flavor and texture of coconut, you can easily make a lot of Kerala style dishes using grated or shredded unsweetened coconut. I have a lot of recipes using coconut in this blog here.
In this simple and easy coconut oats upma Indian recipe, I am not using any vegetables, but you can always add finely chopped and sauteed vegetables to upma. You may use vegetables like onions, carrots, potatoes etc which will make the upma more savory and healthy. You can also add lightly fried nuts like peanuts, cashews etc which will make it more crunchy and delicious too.
However this is an easy quick recipe for oats upma without vegetables and we add only coconut other than the seasonings, and it is yummy and healthy too, which you can enjoy with bananas if you like it sweet or enjoy with any savory curry or chutney as you like.
You can add the traditional seasoning of red chilies, curry leaves and mustard leaves fried in oil which will make this more delicious but if you are just making it for kids then you may skip the seasoning as well.
See more simple upma recipes like this easy simple sooji/semolina oats upma without vegetables here, coconut vermicelli upma here, dalia upma with coconut here, which are all easy, quick and simple upma recipes without vegetables.
As I already meantioned above, upma is a popular breakfast food in South India, traditionally and most popularly made using rava which is course semolina flour or durum wheat flour. Rava is roasted in little oil and cooked in very less amount of water and you can add your favorite finely chopped and cooked vegetables and grated coconut to make the upma more flavorful and healthy. Oats is much healthier than most of the grains and you can make the upma with oats too. Its delicious, filling and a healthy breakfast.
Make the oats upma very simple using just the seasonings and grated coconut, but you can saute finely chopped vegetables and add to the upma to make it more healthy.
Here I am sharing the basic oats upma recipe where I used oats and grated coconut along with some seasonings.
So here is how you can make this simple coconut upma for breakfast following this coconut upma Indian recipe.
Simple Coconut Oats Upma Indian Recipe
Makes 3 to 4 servings
Ingredients for coconut oats upma Indian recipe
- Oats 1.5 cups
- Water 1.5 cup
- grated or shredded coconut (unsweetened) 1 cup
- Salt as required
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Red chilies a few (optional)
- Curry leaves a few (optional)
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon (optional)
Instructions for coconut oats upma Indian recipe
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds stars spluttering, add red chilies, curry leaves and fry for a few seconds. Now the seasoning for the upma is ready, but if you don;t want to add the seasoning, you can just heat the oil and proceed to the next step.
- Add the oats and roast for about 2 minutes, make sure you gently stir in between.
- When the oats is roasted enough, add coconut flakes and roast for another one minute.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Add the water, stir all the ingredients together, close the pan and cook in low flame for about 1 minute.
- Open the pan, stir the upma really well using a spatula so that no lumps are formed. This step is very important since we don’t want any lumps in the upma and so it is important to stir continuously for few seconds.
- Add little extra oil in case the upma is sticking. Stir the upma well for about 1 minute and switch off the stove.
- Upma is ready and you can serve it hot!
- Serve the upma with bananas if you want a sweet version of upma (just remove the chilies), and sprinkle with a little sugar too if you wish!(you can enjoy the upma by mashing the ripe bananas in it)
If you like to enjoy savory upma, enjoy this with any chutneys or vegetarian curries as you wish!
Hope you found this post on coconut oats upma Indian recipe helpful in making quick and easy oats upma for breakfast!