Cowpea recipes are easy to follow, delicious and healthy.
There are few varieties of cowpeas available to buy in the market and I have mostly tried the red cowpea variety in my cooking.
The other varieties of cowpea are too delicious, healthy and yummy, and I will include the recipes here as I add them in my blog.
If you wonder how to make or prepare cowpeas, you can refer to these recipes and learn easily to cook cowpeas and add them to your food.
Basically, we cook the cowpeas in a pressure cooker (you can also use a programmable instant pot, slow cooker etc) until they are cooked and soft and then add them to the other ingredients to make the dishes.
In pressure cooker, you can follow a ratio of 1:3 which means 1 cup of cowpeas to 3 cups of water, and you may need more water for certain recipes if they need more gravy.
As of now, the recipes I have are South Indian style or Kerala style cowpea recipes and I will add more later as I prepare them.
In Kerala, red cowpea is popularly known as vanpayar (or perumpayar or simply payar) and they are used in a variety of dishes perfect for vegetarian lunch or dinner. As Kerala recipes mostly use coconut, we can see that many of these red cowpea dishes also use coconut and also spices, which make them more yummy and healthy.
Below you can see an image of cooked red cowpeas.
Cowpeas are very nutritious and rich in protein and fiber and they are very delicious too.
Cowpeas is high in protein so this makes a very good protein source in plant based diets especially suitable for vegetarians and vegans as there are many vegetarian/vegan cowpea recipes.
You can find many varieties of cowpea here which are available to buy online.
Below you can see varieties of cowpeas like organic red cowpea, organic white cowpea and organic black eyed cowpeas and also you can see cowpea beans flour and an excellent book with much information on cowpea!
Organic Cowpea Red Whole (2 Lbs)Organic Cowpea White Whole (Black Eyed White Beans) (2 Lbs)Hunza Organic Black-eyed Peas / Cowpeas (5 lbs)COWPEA BEANS FLOUR – 1 LBSCowpea: The Food Legume of the 21st Century
So let us go on to the cowpea recipes I wanted to share here in this post. This is a collection of different cowpea recipes in my blog.
As I already mentioned earlier, the cowpea recipes I am sharing now are made using red cowpea. However as I prepare more dishes using other cowpea varieties, I will link to those posts from here.
You can use a good quality pressure cooker or you can use a programmable instant pot to cook the cowpeas which will make cooking so easy for you.
So here are the cowpea recipes that are easy to make, yummy and healthy too!
Easy To Make Cowpea Recipes
- Cowpea Curry With Coconut also known as vanpayar curry in malayalam language is an easy to make curry recipe using red cowpeas, coconut and spices. It is a gravy which goes great with rice for lunch or dinner.
- Dry Cowpea Recipe With Coconut also known as vanpayar thoran makes a very easy, yummy and healthy side with rice and is very popular in Kerala.
- Cowpea Stir Fry With Spices make another very yummy, healthy and easy to make dish which can be made quickly.
- Banana Flower Stir Fry With Cowpeas also known as vazhakoombu thoran or vazhaipoo thoran in South India, this dish is made using banana flowers and red cowpeas along with coconut and spices.
- Drumstick Leaves Curry With Cowpeas is very healthy, yummy and easy to make one pot dish made using fresh drumstick leaves, cowpeas, coconut and spices.
Hope you found this post on cowpea recipes which is a collection of all cowpea recipes in this blog helpful!
Leave a Reply