Creamy Vegan Mushroom Gravy Recipe
This creamy vegan mushroom gravy recipe is easy and gives you yummy mushroom curry free of dairy products.
If you are vegan or vegetarian, this creamy vegan mushroom gravy recipe is perfect for you, to be used with rice or any kind of flatbread. This vegan/vegetarian mushroom gravy also makes a yummy, easy and simple mushroom gravy for thanksgiving meals.
I used almonds (along with a little flour) to make the base for this creamy vegan mushroom gravy recipe, so this is not a nut free mushroom gravy recipe.
The almonds and the flour help you make a thick and creamy almond sauce which when combined with the mushroom broth, gives a thick and creamy gravy which is perfect for this vegan mushroom gravy.
So this vegan mushroom gravy is neither nut free nor gluten free so if you have any nut allergy or you are following a gluten free diet this recipe is not suitable for you.
But if you are gluten free and want to try this vegan mushroom gravy recipe, you may try using cornstarch instead of flour as cornstarch is gluten free and will work as a thickener for gravies but you may need to adjust the amounts a little as needed!
If you love mushrooms, you will also like to see this vegetarian/vegan Indian style mushroom peas curry which makes a great curry or gravy for rice.
The picture below shows the delicious Indian style mushroom peas curry.
We use the mushroom broth to make this gravy more delicious.
To get the mushroom broth, we first cook the mushrooms in pressure cooker, and instead of discarding the water used to cook the mushrooms, we add it in the gravy, which makes it more flavorful and yummy.
To make the creamy almond sauce, we first soak the almonds for at least half an hour in water (you may skip this step if you want to make it quickly) grind the almond sauce with little all purpose flour and water, filter the mixture and then cook it in low flames, as the mixture thickens you get a nice creamy vegan sauce which is perfect for gravies and curries.
We also add few spices to make the gravy more yummy. You can add your own favorite spices and see how you like it!
Whatever spices you add or omit, I highly recommend using onion powder and ginger garlic paste in this recipe as they really add much flavor to this gravy.
Instead of ginger garlic paste you can also use freshly crushed ginger and garlic.
So here is how you can make this yummy and creamy vegan mushroom gravy following this easy creamy vegan mushroom gravy recipe.
Creamy Vegetarian/Vegan Mushroom Gravy Recipe Below
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Gravy Recipe
- 2 cups button mushrooms washed and sliced
- 10 almonds
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour little more if needed
- salt as needed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder or garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods optional
- 5 dry red chilies optional
- 2 bay leaves
- Soak the almonds in some water for at least half an hour early.
- Rinse the sliced mushrooms once again in water (although it is pre-washed) and transfer it to a pressure cooker.
- Add enough salt, bay leaves and 3 cups of water and cook in medium heat for about 10 minutes or until 2 whistles come.
- After 10 minutes of cooking the mushrooms, switch off the cooker and wait for the cooker to cool down.
- Meanwhile rinse well the soaked almonds, discard the water used for soaking almonds and then grind together the almonds, two tablespoons of flour and remaining 2 cups of water in a blender until smooth.
- Filter the blended almond mixture to get rid of any residue like the remaining almond skins (you may also use blanched almonds or remove the almond skins prior to grinding, if you wish).
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the cloves, cardamom pods and dry red chilies.
- Add the almond flour mixture to the pan and add the onion powder and ginger garlic paste, cook in medium heat until the mixture starts boiling.
- Reduce the heat to low and add salt and all remaining spices - curry powder, turmeric powder and red chili powder to the mixture and cook in low heat for another 2 more minutes.
- Once the cooker is cool, open the cooker and transfer the cooked mushrooms along with the water (mushroom broth!) to the almond sauce in the pan and mix everything well.
- Simmer the mixture in low heat for few minutes like 2 to 3 minutes until the gravy starts to turn thick.
- At this point, if the gravy is not thick enough as we added the mushroom broth, mix a couple of tablespoons of flour with a little of the liquid taken from the pan, in another bowl, and mix well without any lumps, and add this back to the pan. Skip this step if the gravy is thick enough. If you cook the mushrooms in a pan using less water, you won't have this problem as there won't be too much broth. I cooked the mushrooms in pressure cooker for convenience and to save time, and I didn't want to discard any mushroom broth as it really adds flavor to the gravy.
- If you are adding more flour to make the gravy more thick, bring the mixture to boil again, then reduce the heat to very low and cook the mixture for another 4 to 5 minutes in low heat until the creamy gravy is done with the delicious mushrooms in it.
- Creamy vegan mushroom gravy is ready to be served, garnish with the chopped cilantro leaves.
Hope you found this post on creamy vegan mushroom gravy recipe helpful!
Last Updated on