Curd Rice South Indian Style Recipe – How To Make Curd Rice For Lunch & Dinner – Easy South Indian Style Yogurt Rice With Mild Seasoning
Curd rice South Indian style recipe is so easy, simple and delicious South Indian rice recipe that you can make in few minutes of time. Curd rice helps you to fix an easy and quick lunch if you love curd or yogurt.
Yogurt is more popularly known as curd in India, and the texture of homemade curd may be a little different from the store bought yogurt although I do not know if there is really any difference between curd and yogurt.
In this curd rice South Indian style recipe, I have used store bought yogurt to make the rice, and it is very delicious, creamy and the perfect easy and quick lunch for those who love yogurt or curd.
You may adjust the seasonings as you wish, by adding your own favorite spices and see how you like it. One thing with curd rice is that we only add whole spices to the dish. We do not add any spice powders usually, as we don’t want to change the white color of rice and yogurt and also adding the powdered spices will blend in more with the rice and yogurt adding different strong flavors, which we do not want here. So we only use whole spices for curd rice, but you can try different spices as you wish.
We use fresh curry leaves, dried red chilies, black pepper corns etc and we can also add ginger which will all blend nicely with the yogurt. I didn’t use ginger here, but you can add ginger for the most delicious flavors. If you want to reduce the spice level, you may skip the red chilies if you wish. This curd rice is one of the most popular and simple rice recipe from South India, see all Indian style rice recipes in my blog here, which also include this popular South Indian style one pot sambar rice recipe.
So here is how you can quickly make this curd rice or yogurt rice following this curd rice South Indian style recipe.
Curd Rice South Indian Style Recipe
Ingredients for curd rice South Indian style recipe
- Cooked white rice 1/2 cup
- oil or ghee 1 tablespoon
- mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- curry leaves a few
- salt a little
- curd or thick yogurt 2 to 3 tablespoons
- grated ginger 1 teaspoon optional
- black peppercorns a few optional
- chopped coriander leaves cilantro leaves or fresh mint leaves 1 tablespoon (optional)
- pomegranate seeds 1 tablespoon optional
Instructions for curd rice South Indian style recipe
- Heat oil (or ghee) in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked rice to this seasoning, add the grated ginger and black pepper corns if using, mix well and stir fry for about 1 to 2 minutes until rice is lightly fried.
- Add salt, mix well with the rice, switch off the stove and transfer the rice to a serving bowl.
- Add the curd or yogurt, mix well with the rice.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds or chopped coriander leaves if you wish.
Hope you found this post on curd rice South Indian style recipe helpful in making easy, yummy and healthy curd rice or yogurt rice for an easy lunch!