Healthy Dalia Upma Recipe For Easy Breakfast – Dalia Upma Kerala Recipe – Broken Wheat Upma Kerala Recipe – Easy Dalia Upma Without Onions (Without Vegetables) – Kid Friendly South Indian Style Breakfast Recipe – South Indian Vegan Breakfast Recipe – Healthy Quick Vegan/Vegetarian South Indian Style Breakfast Recipe
Dalia upma recipe or broken wheat upma recipe Kerala style (cracked wheat upma recipe Kerala style) uses broken or cracked wheat grains for preparing an easy upma in Kerala style. Dalia is the popular name for broken wheat or cracked wheat in India. See easy sooji upma Kerala recipe here.
You may also find this post on delicious masala upma recipe helpful!
As we use dalia or broken cracked wheat to make the upma, it is more nutritious than the traditional upma made using rava or semolina sooji flour, as it has more fiber content.
This kid friendly version of upma recipe uses only few ingredients with the main ingredient as dalia(broken wheat also known as cracked wheat) and it is healthy as well as very easy to prepare. Most of the kids will love this dali upma which is very healthy, when served with fresh bananas (people mix the bananas with the upma and eats it, which is a delicious breakfast).
Other than cracked wheat or dalia I have used only freshly grated coconut (you can use dry shredded coconut too), salt and oil to make this easy upma to make this Kerala style dali upma recipe.
If making for adults, you can saute or shallow fry vegetables like sliced onions, carrots, green peas etc and add crushed ginger and garlic and also other spices if you like. Also you may make a seasoning or tadka by spluttering mustard seeds and frying red chilies and curry leaves which can be done at the beginning in the same pot or pan (or at last separately).
So here is how I made this simple kid friendly dalia upma following this easy and healthy broken wheat upma recipe Kerala style.
Broken Wheat Upma Recipe
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients for dalia upma recipe – broken wheat upma recipe Kerala style
- Dalia or cracked wheat or broken wheat 1 cup
- Water 3 cups
- Grated coconut 1 cup
- Salt as required
- Oil 2 tablespoons (you can use ghee or melted butter if you are not vegan)
Instructions for dalia upma recipe – broken wheat upma recipe Kerala style
- In a heated pan, add oil and roast the dalia for about 2 minutes.
- Then add grated coconut and roast for another few seconds.
- Add the salt and mix everything well, keep aside.
- Boil water in another pan and when the water is boiled add it to the upma mix.
- Close the pan and cook the upma in low flames for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, open the pan, stir well. If any water is left, just keep the pan opened and cook for another 1 minute in low flame so that the water will get evaporated.
- Serve upma with sweet bananas, chutneys or any side dish you like!
Hope you found this post on dalia upma recipe or broken wheat upma recipe Kerala style helpful!