Easy chickpea curry recipe is a one pot chickpea curry made with tomato based gravy and spices.
Earlier I have posted another one pot chickpea curry which was made with coconut but this one is made without coconut. See my post on one pot chickpea curry with coconut here.
As I already mentioned, this healthy and easy chickpea curry recipe uses tomatoes for gravy along with exotic spices. I pureed the tomatoes to make gravy for this chickpea curry recipe, which worked really well.
This chickpea curry recipe is really easy as there is no much work involved, as we are not even using onions or any other vegetables, but just tomatoes to make the puree and few spices along with chickpeas and ginger.
I used dried chickpeas for this recipe.
You can buy dry chickpeas in bulk here. Buying the beans in bulk will help you save money, and definitely it is more healthier to use food that is not canned.
This easy chickpea curry recipe is really quick and the curry is delicious and also healthy.
This is also a vegetarian as well as vegan chickpea curry recipe perfect to be used as curry for rice or a side dish for vegetarian or vegan lunch or dinner.
Chickpea curry can be served with breakfast dishes like chapathi or poori, or even appam, puttu or whatever you like to serve it with.
I used dried chickpeas which was soaked overnight, but you can just soak it for at least 7 to 8 hours prior to cooking. If you are using canned chickpeas, you can skip this step of soaking chickpeas.
So here is how I made this easy one pot chickpea curry following this super easy chickpea curry recipe using tomato based gravy and spices.
Easy Chickpea Curry Recipe Below
Easy Chickpea Curry Recipe With Tomatoes & Spices
- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- 5 cups Water (plus more water for soaking chickpeas)
- salt as required
- 4 medium sized fresh tomatoes chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger chopped or crushed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 3 tablespoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 dry red chilies
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- Wash the chickpeas and soak in water overnight or at least 7 to 8 hours prior to cooking. If you are using canned chickpeas you can skip this step.
- After soaking, drain the water, lightly rinse the chickpeas again and keep aside.
- In a blender, blend the chopped tomatoes and ginger along with the water to make it into a puree.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the red chilies and fry for few seconds.
- Add the chickpeas, salt and garlic, mix all contents well and let it saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree (with water and ginger in it) to the pressure cooker.
- Add all the spices to the cooker, and mix the contents very well.
- Close the cooker and cook in medium heat for about 12 to 14 minutes or about 3 to 4 whistles have come.
- After 14 minutes of cooking, switch off the pressure cooker and wait for it to cool down.
- Once the pressure cooker is cooled enough, open the cooker and see if the chickpeas is cooked enough to be soft.
- Mix all the contents very well and the chickpeas curry with fresh tomato gravy is ready to serve!
Hope you found this post on easy chickpea curry recipe - chickpea tomato curry recipe helpful!