This easy coconut rice recipe is a very quick and easy Indian rice recipe following which you can make healthy and delicious easy and simple coconut rice in pressure cooker which is a very simple and easy meal for a hearty vegetarian lunch or dinner at home.
Rice and green mung beans is a popular combination in Kerala and you can see that coconut is used very much in Kerala recipes. So this easy South Indian coconut rice recipe is a Kerala style coconut rice recipe as well.
I have already posted my recipe for brown rice khichdi withgreen mung beans and coconut, this recipe is however not a khichdi as the texture of the rice is not that of a khichdi which is usually quite mushy in nature.
This easy coconut rice recipe gives you very fluffy and soft rice in coconut and green mung beans but it is different in texture from khichdi.
This is one of my favorite easy recipes for lunch or dinner of I don’t have much time to make anything else. We have added whole green mung beans in this coconut rice recipe which makes it healthy and more delicious.
This coconut rice is a kid friendly recipe as well. If your kids like rice recipes, you can easily pack this rice for lunch box. Even if your kids are not much into rice, you can try this recipe and see how they like it.
You can also add a simple seasoning with oil, curry leaves, cumin seeds (or mustard seeds) and red chilies to make it even more delicious. If you are preparing for kids or if you don’t like it spicy, you can leave out the chilies.
See here my post for one post yellow rice recipe with mung beans where we use the yellow mung beans (skin removed from green mung beans) to prepare the healthy and easy rice.
You can also call this a green mung beans rice recipe with coconut as green mung beans is equally important in this Indian rice recipe. I didn’t use much spices in this recipe, but you can add a few spices like turmeric powder or chili powder if you like.
We make this coconut rice in a pressure cooker which makes everything so easy. So basically you have to just throw in the ingredients in the pressure cooker and let it get cooked.
The only other thing I did was to add the seasoning which I made to the rice after the rice is prepared.
You can also make this seasoning in the pressure cooker itself to which you can add the rice and other ingredients and cook them together if you want to make this a one pot coconut recipe.
So here is how I made this quick, easy, delicious and healthy Indian coconut recipe with whole green mung beans.
Easy Coconut Rice Recipe With Green Mung Beans, South Indian Kerala Style Green Mung Bean Coconut Rice Recipe
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 red chilies avoid chilies if making for kids
- 1 string curry leaves
- Wash the rice and green mung beans and add both to the pressure cooker.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Add fresh grated coconut (or unsweetened dry shredded) to the rice beans mix
- Add ginger garlic paste and stir everything well.
- Add the water, mix well and close the pressure cooker. Make sure you always follow the directions in the manual while using pressure cooker including the use of safety valve.
- Cook in medium heat for about 10 minutes or until 2 whistles have come.
- Switch off the stove and wait for the pressure cooker to cool down.
- Once the pressure cooker is cool, you can open the cooker and gently mix the cooked coconut rice & beans.
- To prepare the seasoning, heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and fry for few seconds.
- Add red chilies and curry leaves, fry for a few seconds. Now the seasoning is ready.
- Pour this seasoning over the prepared coconut rice with mung beans, and gently mix again. The delicious, easy and healthy coconut rice is ready to serve! Enjoy the hot and delicious coconut rice with fresh yogurt, raitha or any side dishes of your choice. I really like to have this without any side dishes though I like it also with some fresh yogurt and pickles!
Hope you found this easy coconut recipe using white basmati rice and green mung beans helpful for packing healthy vegetarian lunch boxes and also for making easy and quick lunch as well as dinner!