Easy Sambar Powder Recipe – Instant Sambar Powder Recipe – Easy Kerala Sambar Powder Recipe Without Coconut – Instant Sambar Masala Recipe To Make Instant Sambar In Few Minutes
Easy sambar powder recipe to make sambar quickly from instant sambar recipes is very helpful especially if you are in a hurry. You can store this instant sambar powder made from easy sambar powder recipe in air tight containers and after the first day, I suggest you to store it in the refrigerator.
I have used the ingredients based on how sambar is made in parts of Kerala (although this can vary based on regions) so this is a Kerala sambar powder recipe.
This instant and easy sambar powder recipe helps you to make sambar powder that lasts for few days, but it doesn’t take more than a few minutes to prepare.
Authentic sambar powder recipes call for sun dried spices which is grind to a powder. They have more shelf life, and they are definitely the original and authentic way to make sambar powder. However in today’s life, it may not be always possible to make the sambar powder from the traditional way which is quite a lengthy process.
Even the most easy sambar powder recipes I have seen, call for using whole spices which have to be grind to a powder. You just don’t have to do it if you really don’t have the time and if you really don’t care for the authentic way of doing it.
You can make delicious sambar even from using powdered spices which can be combined together to make the sambar powder. This method is quick and easy to do, and you can make it in few minutes.
Just gather the powdered spices needed for making sambar.
Here is what you need. The only thing you need to grind whole is the toor dal or yellow pigeon peas lentils, if you don’t want to add the lentils each time you make the sambar.
I am sharing here two recipes for instant sambar powder, one recipe without dal (lentils which is toor dal or yellow pigeon peas) and the second recip with dal. If you are following the second recipe using dal, you don’t have to add extra dal while preparing the sambar.
Ingredients for easy sambar powder recipe – Using recipe 1
- Turmeric powder 2 tablespoon
- Red chili powder 1.5 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder 5 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds powder 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds powder 1 teaspoon
- asafoetida ¼ teaspoon
Instructions to make instant sambar powder – Recipe1
- Dry roast all the spices in a dry and hot pan in low to medium heat. Keep stirring with a spatula to avoid burning. When the spices are roasted, you can smell the aroma of the roasted spices. This will take around 4 to 5 minutes of dry roasting.
- After 5 minutes, switch off the stove and transfer the pan from the hot stove so the roasted spices will cool down.
- After cooling, transfer the contents to an airtight container, store in a refrigerator if keeping more than 2 days.
Notes: If you want to add the lentils and tamarind to the instant sambar powder recipe
From the above easy sambar powder recipe, you have to add the lentils and tamarind extract separately while cooking the sambar. If you want to save more time and include the lentils and tamarind with your instant powder, here is how to do that.
Additional Ingredients for easy sambar powder recipe that includes the lentils and tamarind – Recipe 2
Follow the directions of recipe 1 till all spices are dry roasted and kept aside.
Now take the additional following ingredients
- toor dal (yellow split pigeon peas lentils) 3 cups
- tamarind pulp – 3 to 4 tablespoons
Instructions to make instant sambar powder – Recipe 2
- Dry roast the lentils in a pan till the lentils are slightly roasted. Keep stirring to avoid burning. This will take around 3 to 4 minutes.
- Dry grind the lentils and tamarind until the mix is powdered.
- Now add the powdered lentil tamarind mix to the dry roasted spice powder mix, and mix everything well using a spoon or spatula until all ingredients are well mixed. (you may also dry roast this mix for another 1 minute and keep aside till it is cool again, this will give extra flavor to the sambar powder)
- Transfer the contents to an airtight container and store in refrigerator if keeping for more than 2 days.
- Your sambar powder is ready to be used.
- With 1 to 2 cup of vegetables you can use 2 to 3 tablespoons of sambar powder to prepare delicious, quick and easy sambar.
Notes: This recipe makes about 3 to 4 servings of instant sambar powder.
Hope you found this post on easy sambar powder recipe helpful!