Egg aviyal or mutta avial with drumsticks is a very popular and delicious Kerala style avial made using hard boiled eggs, grind coconut with spices and cooked drumstick.
I didn’t have any drumsticks, so I made this without drumstick and it turned out very delicious.
If you have drumsticks at home, it is best to make egg avial with drumsticks.
However, even if you don’t have drumsticks, try this egg avial if you like avial made using boiled eggs.
I used potatoes and also some onion to add more flavor to the egg avial without drumstick, and it was delicious.
This egg aviyal is so easy to prepare with boiled eggs, coconut and few other ingredients and it makes a great side dish with rice for lunch or dinner.
If you do not have freshly grated coconut, you can use unsweetened dry shredded coconut which you can buy online here. Adding raw cashews to the egg aviyal will make it even more delicious though this is not a must.
Egg aviyal can be served with rice along with any other curry, some suggestions would be to use moru curry, pulissery, Kerala sambar etc which will all go great with egg aviyal though my favorite is pulissery with this egg avial.
You can also use some Kerala style pickles and papadams to make it a very delicious lunch or dinner which can also be prepared very easily at home.
More Kerala Style Aviyal Recipes In This Blog:
So here is how you can make egg aviyal at home following this easy egg aviyal recipe from Kerala.
Egg Aviyal Kerala Style Below
Egg Aviyal Kerala Style Recipe, How To Make Egg Aviyal
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 2 small to medium sized potatoes
- 1/2 of a medium sized onion
- 1.5 cup grated coconut or shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 salt adjust as needed
- 3 green chilies
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 string curry leaves
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Peel and slice the potatoes in slightly thick long sized pieces, keep aside.
- Chop the onion (we use about half of a medium sized peeled onion) as small sized pieces, keep this also aside along with the potatoes.
- In a medium sized pan, add the water and chopped potatoes and onions, enough salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder, bring everything to a boil.
- When the water starts boiling, add the raw cashews and 2 green chilies also the pan, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook the potatoes and onions for about 6 to 7 minutes or until the potatoes are almost cooked.
- Meanwhile grind the coconut with the remaining green chili, cumin seeds and a few curry leaves (do not use all the curry leaves, as we need a little extra later), keep this mixture aside.
- Once the potatoes are almost cooked, open the pan and add the grind coconut mixture to the pan, gently stir the contents and cover the pan, cook for another 2 more minutes in low heat.
- In a small bow, mix the yogurt very well without any lumps, add this yogurt to the mixture in the pan, gently mix the contents, cover and cook for another 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, slice the hard boiled eggs vertically into two halves each.
- Add the sliced boiled eggs to the mixture in the pan, using a spoon, take some mixture and add it on top of each egg slice, so the eggs will be almost covered in the mixture, then gently mix the contents. Make sure to gently mix the contents at this point so that the the sliced eggs will not break.
- Cover and cook in very low heat for another 2 to 3 minutes so the eggs will absorb the flavors in the remaining ingredients.
- Finally add the oil and remaining few curry leaves to the pan, gently mix in and the egg avial or mutta avial is ready to be served!
More Pictures From The Preparation Of Egg Aviyal
As you can see from the pictures, first we prepare the rest of the dish, then add in the sliced hard boiled eggs and mix in and do the final cooking to make this delicious dish.
Hope you found this post on egg aviyal Kerala style recipe helpful in making delicious egg aviyal.