This Kerala style easy and instant green mango pickle recipe gives you a spicy and delicious green mango pickle which will be loved by those who love spicy mango pickles.
This green mango pickle made in South Indian Kerala style way is also known as manga achar as known in malayalam language in Kerala, where manga means mango and achar means pickle.
This spicy green mango pickle is best enjoyed with rice, but you can also enjoy this with dosa or any faltbreads like chapathi if you wish.
Mango pickles (and lime pickles and Kerala style ginger pickle) are popular for Kerala sadya (kerala feast) too.
You can make this green mango pickle for any Kerala style vegetarian lunch or dinner or Onam sadya if you want to make a quick and easy version of the traditional green mango pickle which is a very popular Kerala dish enjoyed with rice.
Now, pickles are supposed to last long and we usually make pickles to preserve them for a longer shelf time, however this is an instant green mango pickle recipe unlike the traditional mango pickles and so it may not last like the ones made in the traditional way..
I have stored this for about 3 to 4 days in refrigerator so a few days in refrigerator should be fine (make sure to keep it stored in glass jars and away from any moisture content even if you are storing this in refrigerator for few days).
Quick & Easy Instant Green Mango Pickle Recipe South Indian Kerala Style Recipe Below
Instant Green Mango Pickle Recipe Spicy South Indian Style
- 1/2 of a medium sized green raw mango
- 3 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 string curry leaves
- 5 dry red chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seed powder
- salt as required
- Wash the mango, pat dry with paper towels, and cut the mango into small pieces.
- Mix the sliced mango pieces with desired salt and keep aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds splutter, add the red chilies and curry leaves, fry for a few seconds.
- Keep the heat to very low and add the red chili powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and mix well.
- Add the water and little salt, increase the heat to medium, and as soon as this mixture starts boiling, switch off the stove and pour the mixture over the salted mango pieces.
- Gently stir the mango pickle and serve it with rice along with other dishes for lunch or dinner!
Fresh yogurt, raitha or curry made of yogurt like pulissery, easy moru curry, cucumber pachadi etc will taste great with green mango pickle and rice, when served along with any thoran (or mezhukkupuratti) like cabbage thoran or Kerala style avial.
Hope you found this green mango pickle recipe helpful in making quick and easy South Indian style green mango pickle for lunch or dinner.