How To Make Vermicelli Upma With Coconut & Spices – How To Make/Prepare Semiya Upma/Masala Semiya Upma
Masala Vermicelli Upma Recipe – One Pot Masala Vermicelli Upma Recipe South Indian Kerala Style
You can learn here how to make vermicelli upma with roasted coconut and spices which can be quickly made as a one pot vegetarian/vegan dish for breakfast. Usually when we make vermicelli upma (or any upma), we boil the water first and add the boiled water to the ingredients like vermicelli or sooji to make the upma.
Here I am making this dish as a one pot vermicelli upma and we are boiling the water along with the vermicelli and other ingredients, and we occasionally stir the contents as the water boils to avoid the vermicelli noodles sticking together, which works very well here.
I have used this roasted thin vermicelli noodles to make the upma, which works very well for this recipe.
You can see the post for the basic, yummy, easy and simple vermicelli upma Kerala style recipe here.
In this recipe, we use spices like masala to make the semiya/vermicelli upma more delicious. The cooking time is different for this vermicelli upma recipe from the one you have seen in the above link. This is because we are not boiling the water in advance for this recipe.
If you love masala upma recipes, you can try this masala upma recipe here using sooji rava, which is very yummy and easy to make for breakfast.
So here you can read how to make vermicelli upma with roasted coconut & spices like masala following this simple and easy masala vermicelli upma recipe.
How To Make Vermicelli Upma With Roasted Coconut & Masala – Masala Vermicelli Upma Recipe With Coconut
Ingredients for masala vermicelli upma recipe with coconut & spices
- thin vermicelli noodles roasted 1 cup
- grated or shredded coconut 1 cup
- coconut oil 2 tablespoons (plus little more if needed)
- cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- dry red chilies 4 to 5
- curry leaves a few
- water 1 cup
- salt as needed
- turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- garam masala powder 2 teaspoons
- bay leaves 2
- cashews a handful
Instructions on how to make vermicelli upma with coconut & spices to make masala vermicelli upma
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the cumin seeds.
- Add the bay leaves, red chilies and curry leaves, fry for a few seconds.
- Add the cashews and lightly fry until they are golden brown in color.
- Add the vermicelli noodles to the pan and lightly roast for a minute (as we are using roasted thin vermicelli, this is very much enough. If you are using vermicelli which is not roasted you should roast it for few minutes until the vermicelli is lightly browned).
- Add the grated or shredded coconut to the pan, add salt and roast the coconut in low heat for few minutes until the coconut starts to change in color to light brown. You may add an extra spoon of oil if needed.
- Add the spices – turmeric, red chili powder and garam masala powder to the pan and mix the contents well, saute for another 1 minute.
- Add the water and bring the water to a boil, keep stirring in between to avoid the vermicelli from sticking.
- Once the water starts boiling, cover the pan with lid, and cook in very low heat for about 8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes of cooking, open the lid of the pan and see if the vermicelli is cooked and if the water is all absorbed. If there is any little water remaining, you can cook with the lid open for about 1 to 2 minutes in medium heat so the remaining water will be evaporated. Make sure you stir in between and not to cook for a long time, to avoid the vermicelli getting burnt at the bottom of the pan.
- Simple and delicious vermicelli upma with roasted coconut and masala is ready to be served!
Enjoy the vermicelli upma with any chutney, papad (crackers) or vegetarian curry or just enjoy it as it is without any sides!
Hope you found this post on how to make vermicelli upma with roasted coconut, masala & spices helpful!