Mushroom Peas Curry Recipe Easy And Healthy – Mushroom Curry Indian Style Recipe With Green Peas – Mushroom And Peas Curry For Rice & Chapathi Indian Style Recipe – Mushroom Matar (Mutter) Curry Recipe
Mushroom Matar Curry Recipe – Indian Mushroom Curry Recipe
How To Make Mushroom And Peas Curry For Rice And Chapathi
Indian mushroom curry recipe with button mushrooms and peas in tomato onion gravy with spices is one of the best Indian style mushroom curry recipes for making mushroom curry as side dish for rice or chapathi. I am not a big fan of mushrooms myself, but I love this mushroom peas curry in onion tomato gravy with spices as it really is delicious and goes great with rice or chapathi. See peas and potato curry recipe here.
I used dry green peas to make this peas mushroom recipe. Dried lentils and legumes have longer shelf life than fresh ones or frozen ones and buying them in bulk can save money. You just need to soak them for few hours before cooking. You can buy dry green peas here.
I know many vegetarians do not really like mushrooms (like myself) when cooked in whatever way. In my case, I like it when the flavor is not too overwhelming for me and when it is mixed with other vegetables or ingredients that I like. This mushroom peas curry is perfect as it also pleases those who really love mushrooms and also those who are really not great mushroom lovers.
The trick is to cook the mushrooms in water and then make the gravy separately and add the cooked mushrooms to it at the last stage. I also added some exotic spices like cardamom pods, bay leaves and cloves to the pot while the mushrooms were getting cooked.
So whether you loves mushrooms or not, try this for yourself and see if you like this mushroom peas curry.
Here is how I made this easy and delicious mushroom peas curry following this easy Indian mushroom curry recipe.
I used washed and chopped button mushrooms I bought from the store. As I mentioned above, for the peas, I used dry green peas which was soaked overnight for best results. If you are using fresh or frozen peas, you can skip the soaking and just wash and use them directly.
Indian Mushroom Curry Recipe With Peas
Ingredients for Indian mushroom curry recipe with peas
- Button mushrooms 2 Cups chopped
- Green peas dry 2 cups
- Onion 1
- tomatoes 3 medium sized (or use 8 to 10 cherry tomatoes)
- Water 3 cups (or more if needed)
- salt as required
- oil 3 tablespoons
- ginger garlic paste 2 tablespoons
- bay leaves 2
- cardamom pods 2 to 3
- cloves 2 to 3
- turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- red chili powder 1 teaspoon (reduce if you don’t want it spicy)
- garam masala powder 2 teaspoons
- black pepper powder 1 teaspoon (skip this if you don’t want spicy)
- cumin seeds powder 1/2 teaspoon
- cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- red chilies 4 to 5 (optional)
Instructions for Indian mushroom curry recipe – mushroom peas curry recipe
- Soak dry green peas in water overnight or for at least 4 to 5 hours prior to cooking.
- After soaking, wash the peas.
- Wash the button mushrooms in fresh water for 2 to 3 times (even if it you are buying washed ones).
- Transfer the washed peas and mushrooms to a medium sized pan or pot, add water (no need to add salt now).
- Add cardamom pods, cloves and bay leaves to the pot.
- Bring the water to a boil, and when the water starts boiling, reduce the heat to very low, close the pot and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the mushrooms and peas are cooked and soft enough. Switch off the stove and keep the pot aside.
- Now let us make the gravy for the curry.
- Cut the onion and tomatoes roughly and transfer to a food processor and grind them into a paste (without adding water). You don’t have to make it so smooth, as little pieces of onions and tomatoes are fine in the gravy. I used cherry tomatoes, you can use cherry tomatoes or regular tomatoes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry cumin seeds.
- Transfer the onion tomato paste to the pan and roast the mixture in low to medium heat.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Stir the mixture occasionally to avoid the gravy getting burnt at the bottom of the pan.
- Cook the onion tomato mixture until it is cooked well and the mixture starts separating from the oil. This may take around 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add all the spices and salt and mix well and cook for another 1 more minute. Now the gravy for the mushroom masala curry is ready, so let us add the mushrooms and peas to this gravy now.
- Transfer the contents of the pot with the cooked mushroom, peas and water (yes we use the water used to cook the mushrooms to make the gravy) to the pan with the onion tomato mixture and mix everything well.
- Cook in medium heat for about 2 minutes, stirring in between or until the mushrooms and peas are well blended with the gravy and spices.
- Switch off the stove and keep the pan aside. Now let us make the seasoning (this is optional, but its good to add).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the red chilies and fry for few seconds and the seasoning is ready.
- Pour the seasoning over the prepared mushroom peas curry and gently mix the contents.
- Mushroom peas curry is ready to serve!
- You can serve the delicious mushroom peas curry with rice for lunch or dinner or you can serve it with chapathi or poori for breakfast or dinner!
Hope you found this post on Indian mushroom curry recipe with green peas or mushroom peas curry recipe helpful!