Easy Onion Curry For Chapathi/Chapati – Simple Onion Curry Recipe Without Coconut & Without Tomato
This easy onion curry for chapathi is made with onion as the main ingredient and few spices. It is so simple and easy to prepare yet delicious when served with chapatis as a side dish. You can easily make this in no time, as this is a very quick and super simple onion curry recipe for chapathi.
This simple onion curry for chapathi can also be used with other dishes like dosa or rice, but it will pair more nicely with sandwiches as a great filling ( if you cook till all the gravy is absorbed).
This onion curry uses just onions and spices along with some crushed garlic, so this is an onion curry recipe without coconut (I specifically say this because many of my recipes, especially curry recipes are based on coconut gravy blended with spices) and definitely not without onions or garlic ( I have posted a tomato curry for chapati in blog which is also a curry recipe without coconut but it is a no onion no garlic curry too). This is a simple and easy onion curry without tomato/tomatoes too.
However this onion curry for chapati has onion as the main ingredients and I strongly recommend using garlic and ginger along with spices as they add much flavor to the recipe. You can either use ginger garlic paste or use freshly crushed garlic and ginger for the preparation of this dish. Instead of freshly crushed garlic, you may also used garlic powder if you wish.
The onion curry is somewhat spicy, and you can make this more spicy by adding more red chili powder or chopped green chilies, but this curry is already spicy with red chili powder, crushed ginger and black pepper powder. If you don’t want the onion curry to be spicy or just mildly spicy, skip either red chili powder or black pepper powder or reduce the amounts or skip both, as you wish.
The onions are sauteed and spices are added to make this simple side dish for chapathi & poori. I recommend lightly frying the onions until they are transparent or lightly browned for best results. As you saute the onions for more time until they are browned, the taste of this dish will increase, however it is not necessary to brown the onions, you can just saute them until they look transparent in color.
So let us go on to read about this simple onion curry for chapathi.
Onion Curry For Chapathi Recipe
Ingredients for onion curry for chapathi
- Onion 1 large
- fresh garlic 2 to 3 cloves crushed
- ginger crushed 1 tablespoon
- turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- red chili powder 1/4 teaspoon
- black pepper powder 1/4 teaspoon
- coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- cumin seeds powder 1/4 teaspoon
- garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- water 1/2 cup
- salt as required
- mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- curry leaves a few
- red chilies a few
- Coconut oil 2 to 3 tablespoons plus more if required
Instructions to make Indian onion curry for chapathi
- Peel and slice the onions evenly in medium sized long slices.
- Heat oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds starts spluttering add curry leaves, red chilies fry for a few seconds.
- Add the crushed garlic and ginger, saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and salt, mix well, and saute the onions for few minutes until the onion starts browning or turns transparent in color. You don’t have to caramelize the onions, but the the flavor of the dish will increase if you saute it for more time.
- Now add the water and when it starts boiling, reduce the flames and let it cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. keep stirring in between to avoid burning at the bottom of the pan.
- Now add all the spices and mix everything well, let the onions get blended in the spices for a few more minutes, say 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now the onion curry is almost ready, just see if the water is all absorbed or if there is still water in it.
- This onion curry do not need much gravy, so you can either add more water or you can wait till all water is absorbed. Its your choice and I personally like the water to be absorbed so I just wait till almost all water is absorbed.
Now the onion curry for chapathi is ready to be served, you can serve it hot with chapathis or anything you wish to have it with!