Instant pot peas pulao recipe or instant pot green peas and rice with mild spices is super easy to prepare, one pot vegetarian dish which you can easily pack for school/office lunch or travel.
This instant pot peas pulao is a simple, delicious and popular Indian vegetarian recipe (vegetarian pulao) which is a gluten free dish as well. Peas pulao is often served any side dish or curry of your choice along with fresh raita (yogurt based salad), or fresh yogurt, pickles etc.
What Kind Of Rice Is Best For This Instant Pot Peas Pulao?
I used long grain white basmati rice to make the instant pot peas pulao, you may try your favorite brand of basmati but I recommend using this brand of basmati rice for best results.
As we use instant pot to prepare the peas pulao (matar pulao) or green peas and rice pulao, there is not much work involved in the preparation of the pulao other than dumping the ingredients to the pot and setting the instant pot to do the cooking.
What Kind Of Peas (Green Peas) Can Be Used To Make This Peas Pulao In Instant Pot?
You can use fresh peas or frozen peas to make the peas pulao or you can also use the dried peas, but you will need to soak the dried peas in advance for several hours and also you need to use only about half the amount of peas if you are using dried peas since the peas will increase in size as they are soaked in water.
With fresh or frozen green peas, its more easy to use in the recipe as mentioned in the instructions since we do not have to soak the peas in advance.
I have only used few spices which add great flavors to the rice and you can enjoy this simple instant pot peas pulao as it is or enjoy with any curry like palak paneer, instant pot potato curry etc or you can enjoy it with fresh yogurt or raita.
Can You Make Peas Pulao Without Onions?
This easy and simple instant pot matar pulao or peas pulao is prepared without onions also but I used onion powder and garlic powder for flavors.
You may also use ginger garlic paste instead.
Adding sauteed onions or onion powder or even garlic adds more flavor to this pulao, but this is not necessary. If you wish to skip onion and garlic, you can still easily prepare this peas pulao in instant pot without onions also.
So here is how you can prepare the easy and simple instant pot peas pulao following this simple instant pot peas pulao recipe.
Can You Make Peas Pulao In Instant Pot Without Soaking Rice?
Yes, you can! I made this peas pulao (also known as matar pulao in India as green peas is known as matar in Hindi).
Although, soaking rice in advance usually makes pulao more soft and tasty, this peas pulao made in instant pot using the best variety of white basmati rice doesn’t require soaking of rice in advance.
The pulao cooked without soaking the rice is delicious and has the perfect texture without soaking the rice.
More instant pot rice recipes below:
- instant pot tomato rice
- instant pot coconut rice with dal
- instant pot veg pulao recipe
- instant pot cilantro lime rice recipe
Instant Pot Peas Pulao Recipe Below
Instant Pot Peas Pulao Recipe, How To Make Instant Pot Green Peas And Rice
- 3 cups white basmati rice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green peas (if dry peas use 1 cup and soak in water for about 6 to 8 hours)
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5 dry red chilies
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 large cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust as needed
- 3.5 cups water
- Wash the rice very well in water and keep it aside.
- Add the butter to the instant pot, set in saute mode and adjust to low. As the butter is melted, add the cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, star anise and cloves and lightly fry for few seconds.
- add onion powder and garlic powder, stir well.
- add the green peas and enough salt, stir and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder and dry red chilies, stir well and saute for one ore minute.
- Add the rice, enough salt and water, mix well. Make sure contents are not sticking to the bottom of the pot and also make sure the water has reached at the bottom.
- Close the pot with lid in sealing position, press manual and cook in high pressure for 7 minutes.
- After cooking the pot will beep, press the 'keep warm/cancel' button once the cooking is done. Wait for a natural pressure release of 15 minutes.
- After an NPR (natural pressure release) of 15 minutes, manually release the pressure very carefully by turning the lid to venting position slowly and gradually releasing the pressure.
- Once the pressure is all released, carefully open the lid, gently mix using a spoon or spatula or gently fluff using a fork. Serve the delicious and easy peas pulao hot!
Hope you found this post on instant pot peas pulao helpful in making easy and yummy peas pulao using instant pot.