Instant pot ponni rice is perfectly cooked fluffy white rice which can be enjoyed in few minutes time. Ponni rice cooked in instant pot do not need soaking in advance prior to cooking. The ponni rice I used is ponni raw rice which is a popular South Indian white rice in raw form (ponni brand of rice comes as raw rice or par boiled rice). The rice cooked is perfect, fluffy and you can enjoy it with any side dishes or curry as you like. When I try the ponni boiled rice in instant pot, I will update the recipe accordingly.
What Is Ponni Rice?
Ponni rice is a popular white rice used for cooking which is popular in South India, especially in Tamil Nadu region. Ponni rice is very fluffy, soft and delicious and its perfect for rice bowls, thali (Indian style luch or dinner served with rice and curries) etc.
There are two different varieties of ponni rice which are very popular – ponni raw rice and ponni boiled (par boiled) rice.
Par boiled rice usually required more cooking time but its considered more healthy as well. The ponni par boiled rice is short grain rice but the ponni raw rice fairly long grain rice and you can even use them to cook pulao/pilaf rice. See this sweet corn pulao recipe using leftover cooked ponni raw rice.
In this instant pot ponni rice recipe, I used ponni raw rice but as I mentioned earlier, if I try ponni boiled rice ever, I will update the recipe accordingly.
So here is how you can prepare ponni raw rice in the instant pot following this easy, perfect recipe for instant pot ponni rice.
I have more rice recipes in the instant pot, which you may like to see!
- perfect instant pot white basmati rice
- instant pot yellow rice
- instant pot peas pulao
- instant pot tomato rice
- instant pot paneer veg biriyani
- instant pot veg pulao
- instant pot coconut dal rice
- instant pot rice pudding
- instant pot cilantro lime rice
- instant pot jeera rice
How To Make Instant Pot Ponni Rice
We use just 2 ingredients to cook the perfect ponni rice in the instant pot. They are as follows:
- ponni raw rice
You may also add additional ingredients like one tablespoon of oil (or butter) or one teaspoon of lemon juice to make the texture and flavor of the rice even better.
Steps To Cook Ponni Raw Rice In Instant Pot (The Process)
- Rinse the rice very well, transfer the rinsed rice to the inner pot of instant pot (discard the water used for rinsing the rice).
- Add enough water (as the amount mentioned in recipe card, here 4 cups of water for 2 cups of ponni rice) and mix well, make sure there is water at the bottom of the pot.
- Close the instant pot with lid in sealing position, press the ‘rice’ button and cook for 10 minutes (if its not set for 10 minutes adjust the time to 10 minutes).
- Once the cooking is done and the pot beeps, press the ‘keep warm/cancel’ button and wait for a natural pressure release of 12 minutes.
- After a natural pressure release of 12 minutes, carefully do a manual release by turning the lid to venting position slowly, releasing the pressure manually very carefully and gradually.
- Once the pressure is all released, carefully open the instant pot and fluff the rice with a fork or use a spoon or spatula and gently mix the rice.
Sides To Go With Cooked Ponni Rice
To enjoy a simple and delicious meal with cooked ponni rice, you may serve the rice with any South Indian style gravy and dry side dish or you can also go for North Indian style sides whichever you like.
Here you can see some ideas for sides you can choose for the cooked ponni rice. I will recommend one gravy and at least one dry side dish to go with it. Also you can add chutneys, pickles, papads (or papadam which is Indian style lentil crackers usually served with rice) etc.
- instant pot sambar
- instant pot cherupayar thoran
- instant pot eggplant curry
- instant pot potato curry
- instant pot vegetable curry
- instant pot tomato curry
- vanpayar thoran
- kaya mezhukkupuratti
- kaya thoran
- cabbage thoran
- cauliflower thoran
- broccoli thoran
- Kerala avial recipe
- tomato rasam
Where To Buy Ponni Rice
Ponni rice (both raw rice and boiled rice) are both usually available in Indian grocery stores among the rice section or among the South Indian products. Or you can buy ponni raw rice online too.
So here is the detailed recipe for preparing ponni rice in instant pot.
Instant Pot Ponni Rice
- instant pot 6 quart duo or lux
- 2 cups ponni raw rice
- 4 cups water
- Wash the rice very well in water, transfer the washed rice to the inner pot of instant pot.
- Add the water and mix, make sure there is water has reached at the bottom of the pot.
- Close the instant pot with lid in sealing position, press the 'rice' button and cook for 10 minutes. The pot will take few minutes to come to pressure and start cooking. Once the cooking is done, the pot will beep so you will have to wait until then.
- Once the cooking is done and the pot beeps, press the 'keep warm/cancel' button and wait for a natural pressure release of about 12 minutes.
- After an NPR (natural pressure release) of 12 minutes, carefully do a manual release by turning the lid to venting position slowly, releasing the pressure manually very carefully and gradually.
- Once the pressure is all released, open the pot and fluff the cooked rice with a fork or use a spoon or spatula or gently mix in. Serve the rice hot with any side dishes or curry for lunch or dinner as you like!
Last Updated on