Instant pot potato curry recipe helps you to make easy potato curry in instant pot which is flavored with Indian spices. This easy instant pot potato curry is a vegetarian/vegan recipe.
You can also add a little (about 2 tablespoons) of thick coconut milk or heavy cream if you want a creamy gravy. You can add the cream once the curry is prepared so the cream or coconut milk will not curdle.
In this simple recipe for instant pot potato curry, we make the potato curry without coconut milk or any cream, and it is totally delicious with all the blended spices and potatoes.
This simple and easy South Indian potato curry made using instant pot is great to go with rice or you can enjoy this as a side dish with rice, pulao, chapathi, poori, dosa etc.
You can follow this easy instant potato potato curry recipe as it is or you can also add a south Indian Kerala style seasoning if you like.
To make the south Indian style seasoning (which is optional as explained in the instant pot mixed vegetable curry mentioned above), you can heat 1 tablespoon of oil (preferably coconut oil) and saute (using the saute function in instant pot in low setting) 1 teaspoon of brown mustard seeds, curry leaves and few dry red chilies until they are lightly fried for a few seconds.
If you are using mustard seeds, make sure to splutter the mustard seeds before adding the curry leaves and red chilies, as they may taste bitter otherwise.
If you are making a seasoning, you may skip the curry leaves and red chilies from garnishing (which is optional as well but you can still add the cilantro leaves for garnishing if you like) as you are adding them while preparing the seasoning.
However, I didn’t add the seasoning, since I just added some curry leaves at the end and the simple and easy potato curry is still very delicious and flavorful from the potatoes, onions and spices I used for cooking!
So here is how you can make this easy, simple and yummy instant pot potato curry for chapathi, poori or rice following this easy instant pot potato curry recipe.
Easy Instant Pot Potato Curry Recipe Below
Instant Pot Potato Curry, How To Make Potato Curry In Instant Pot
- 6 medium sized Potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 small piece ginger peeled, crushed (optional)
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 green chilies adjust as you like
- 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust as needed
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- 3 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
for garnishing (optional)
- 3 dry red chilies
- 1 string curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves (coriander leaves)
- Wash and peel the potatoes, cut in medium sized pieces, transfer to the inner pot of instant pot.
- Peel and chop the onions in medium sized pieces, add the chopped onions also to the pot.
- Chop the tomatoes and add this also to the inner pot.
- Add the garlic, ginger, green chilies, curry leaves and enough salt, mix everything well.
- Now add the water and all spice powders except garam masala powder, mix everything well.
- Close the instant pot with lid on sealing position, press the manual button and cook in high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Once the cooking is over, the instant pot will beep and you can press the 'keep warm' button and wait for a natural pressure release of about 10 minutes.
- Once the pressure is naturally released for 10 minutes, turn the lid to venting position carefully and slowly and do a gradual manual release very carefully.
- Once the pressure is all released, open the lid, stir the contents, add the garam masala powder and mix well.
- Press the saute function, adjust to low and simmer for another couple of minutes so the masala will blend with the curry and the simmering at the end will make the curry more delicious.
- If you wish to add the garnishing, you can add the curry leaves (and cilantro leaves or you can use just one of these) and red chilies, gently mix in. Serve the potato curry hot with rice, chapathi, poori or enjoy with whatever you like to serve it with.
Hope you found this easy instant pot potato curry helpful in making delicious, healthy and easy potato curry for rice, chapathi or poori for lunch or dinner.
Last Updated on