Instant pot tomato curry made with fresh tomatoes and spices makes a very delicious and healthy curry which you can enjoy with rice or with Indian breads like roti, chapathi, naan bread, poori etc.
This tomato curry is simple and easy to prepare and it is a vegetarian curry which you can quickly make using the instant pot with ingredients that you usually use for Indian cooking.
The best thing with this tomato curry is that it is so simple and easy to make and you do not have to babysit the pot.
And it is also so healthy and delicious which requires very minimum efforts to make using the instant pot!
Is This Instant Pot Tomato Curry Vegan?
If you skip the heavy cream and use coconut milk only, you can make this a vegan dish which is very easy to do.
Heavy cream (which is an optional ingredient in the list) is the only ingredient that is not vegan which you can easily skip or replace with coconut milk, cashew cream etc.
What Are The Main Ingredients Used In The Preparation of This Indian Style Tomato Curry?
This tomato curry uses onions as one of the main ingredients apart from fresh tomatoes, spices etc.
Obviously, fresh tomatoes, onions and spices form the main ingredients of this tomato curry, though you can adjust the flavors by trying different spices based on your preference.
Make sure to use fresh, juicy tomatoes for the preparation of this tomato curry!
There are many tomato curry recipes in this blog which you can prepare on stove top (without instant pot) using a pan or pot including this simple and quick tomato curry recipe, onion tomato curry recipe, spicy tomato curry recipe, tomato fry recipe etc.
Making tomato curry is usually easy and making tomato curry using an instant pot is even more easier.
How To Make Instant Pot Tomato Curry?
First you chop the onion and tomatoes so you are ready to make the tomato curry in your instant pot.
Make the seasoning first by adding the oil to the pot, press saute and lightly fry the cumin seeds and curry leaves.
Add the sliced onions, lightly saute and then add the ginger garlic paste and also green chilies.
Finally add the chopped tomatoes, spices, saute for about a minutes.
Add the water, mix everything well and close the instant pot with lid in sealing position, cook in high pressure for 4 minutes. Once its done, do a natural pressure release.
Once pressure is all released, carefully open the lid, mix the contents very well. Also add the cream or coconut milk, stir well and if you wish simmer (using saute function) for few seconds (do not do for more time), so the flavors will nicely blend. That’s it! Serve it hot with roti, rice etc as you wish.
Pictures From The Preparation Of Instant Pot Tomato Curry
Is This Tomato Curry Healthy?
Yes, by using fresh tomatoes, onions and all healthy spices this tomato curry is so healthy and delicious.
To make it even more healthy, make sure to use fresh and good quality ingredients like organic fresh tomatoes or fresh tomatoes from your own garden!
This is also a great recipe to use any leftover tomatoes that you may have from your garden or harvest.
This recipe is very simple, easy and quick to make without any complicated steps and it is very delicious as well!
If you have spices, tomatoes & onions at home, you can quickly make this curry in the instant pot pressure cooker which makes a great side dish for chapathi, poori, rice etc.
You can also adjust the spices and flavorings based on your preferences if you wish to do so.
More Instant Pot Vegetarian Curry Recipes In This Blog:
So here is how you can make easy tomato curry in instant pot following this easy recipe.
Instant Pot Tomato Curry
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 string curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Wash and peel the onion, slice in slightly thin long slices.
- Wash and chop the tomatoes in long slightly thick slices, keep this aside separately from the onions.
- Add the oil in the inner pot of instant pot, press the saute function adjust to medium.
- Add the cumin seeds, and when the cumin seeds is lightly fried, add the curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the sliced onions and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes. If needed, you can press the ‘cancel’ button and then again press the saute button and adjust to low.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and green chilies, saute for another 1 minute.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and salt, mix well and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the spice powders, mix everything well.
- Add the water, mix the contents and close the instant pot with lid in sealing position. Press the manual button and cook in high pressure for 4 minutes. It takes a few minutes for the instant pot to come to pressure and start cooking. Once the cooking is done, the pot will beep.
- Once the cooking is done and the pot beeps, press the 'keep warm/cancel' button and wait for the pressure to release naturally. If needed, you can do a careful and gradual manual pressure release after 10 minutes of natural pressure releasing.
- Once the pressure is all released, carefully open the pot and mix the contents well.
- Add the coconut milk or heavy cream, stir again and if you wish, simmer (using the saute function) for few seconds only so the flavors will blend nicely. The delicious instant pot tomato curry is ready to be served!