This kadala curry for chapathi recipe without coconut or easy chickpea curry for chapathi recipe is simple to follow and you can easily make this and enjoy it with chapathi, poori, dosa, idli, appam, idiyappam or even with rice.
I used white chickpeas or vella kadala to make this kadala curry but you may use black channa or black kadala as well just cook a little more time if you want it soft.
This chickpea curry is vegan/vegetarian side dish with gravy which is yummy and easy to make.
Many of the Indian style chickpea curry recipes require grinding of spices or tomatoes or coconut, however in this recipe we are not grinding anything, we are using onions and spices to flavor the yummy and simple chickpea curry.
If you are looking for an easy chickpea curry or an easy kadala curry for chapathi or rice which you can make without grinding, this is one simple recipe you can try easily at home whether you are looking to prepare an easy kadala curry for chapathi or poori for dinner or breakfast or if your are just looking for an easy chickpea curry to go with even rice for lunch.
It is very important to use onions for this recipe as it adds much flavor to this curry and I highly recommend caramelizing the onions or at least browning the onions for best results, if you have time to do that. Otherwise just sauteing the onions just enough to make them transparent is good enough to go.
Also I used dry chickpeas to make this chickpea curry and so we have to soak the chickpeas at least 6 to 7 hours or overnight for best results. If you are using canned chickpeas you can skip this step of soaking the chickpeas.
So here is how you can make this easy chickpea curry (kadala curry for chapathi) following this easy chickpea curry for chapathi recipe.
Kadala Curry For Chapathi Without Coconut - Easy Chickpea Curry Recipe
- 2 medium sized onions
- 4 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 cup dry chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 5 cups water (plus more water for soaking the chickpeas)
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons ginger crushed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper powder optional
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5 dry red chilies
- 1 string curry leaves
- Soak the chickpeas in enough water for about 6 to 7 hours or overnight for best results.
- After soaking, discard the water used for soaking the chickpeas and rinse the chickpeas again in fresh water.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a pressure cooker, add water and salt, mix well.
- Close the pressure cooker with the lid and safety valve and cook in medium heat for about 12 minutes or until 4 whistles come.
- After 12 minutes of cooking, switch off the stove and wait for the pressure cooker to cool down.
- Meanwhile peel and slice the onions.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the red chilies and curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the sliced onions to the pan and saute the onions until the onions are browned (or better caramelized) or turn transparent in color.
- Add the salt, crushed garlic and ginger to the onions and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan, mix the contents well and stir fry the mixture for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cover the pan and cook the onion tomato mixture for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- After 3 to 4 minutes of cooking, the onion tomato mixture is ready, switch off the stove and keep the pan closed.
- Once the pressure cooker is cooled, open the cooker and see if the chickpeas is cooked and soft.
- Transfer the cooked chickpeas (along with the water)in pressure cooker to the onion tomato mixture in the pan (or vice versa) and stir the contents very well.
- Add the remaining spices to the pan - turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin seeds powder, coriander powder and curry powder and mix everything well until all ingredients are very well combined.
- Heat and simmer the contents for about 2 to 3 minutes in medium heat, keep stirring in between, so the gravy will thicken.
- After 2 to 3 minutes of simmering, stir everything well again, switch off the stove and keep the pan away from heat.
- Keep the pan closed for a few minutes for best results. Easy and yummy chickpea curry is ready to be served!
Serve the delicious and easy chickpea curry with chapathi, poori, dosa, idli or rice as you wish!
Hope you found this post on kadala curry for chapathi or easy chickpea curry recipe for chapathi helpful!
Last Updated on