Kaya Mezhukkupuratti Recipe – South Indian Kerala Style Green Plantains/Green Bananas Stir Fry Recipe – Pacha Ethakka Mezhukkupuratti Recipe – Vazhakka Mezhukkupuratti (Vazhakkai Mezhukkupuratti) Kerala Recipe
Kaya mezhukkupuratti South Indian Kerala style recipe is a very simple and easy recipe to follow which will help you make stir fried green plantains or stir fried green bananas in spices. This green plantains/green bananas stir fry or kaya mezhukkupuratti makes a yummy vegetarian/vegan side dish with rice for lunch or dinner.
The golden yellow color of the dish you see in the photo is from the turmeric spice which we use in the recipe, which is really an amazing spice with its bright yellow color from curcumin and lots and lots of health benefits. I have a lot of recipes using turmeric spices, you can see all recipes in my blog using turmeric spice here.
You can use any kind of medium to large sized green bananas or green plantains to make this dish.
Green bananas and green plantains are healthy edible fruits, which are not yet ripened. And so they are not sweet, but edible and tasty when cooked. Green bananas including plantains make great stir fries and chips and the South Indian Kerala style green plantain banana chips are very popular as a delicious kid friendly snack.
Even the skin of the plantains and green bananas are cooked and used since they are edible and yummy too. In this recipe for green plantain bananas stir fry, which is also known as kaya or ethakka mezhukkupuratti in Kerala (and also known as vazhakka mezhukkupuratti or vazhakkai mezhukkupuratti in South India), I have not used the skin of the fruits.
This kaya mezhukkupuratti or green plantains stir fry is a simple recipe where the plantains are peeled, diced and stir fried in oil along with seasonings and salt. This is popularly used as a side dish for rice during lunch or dinner.
See more green plantain banana recipes in South Indian style like this popular green plantain banana recipe with coconut and spices which is also a simple and yummy side dish to be served with rice for lunch or dinner.
So here is how I made this green plantains stir fry following this simple and easy kaya mezhukkupuratti recipe in Kerala style.
Kaya Mezhukkupuratti Kerala Style Recipe Below
Kaya Mezhukkupuratti Recipe, Raw Banana Fry Recipe South Indian Kerala Style
- Green Plantains or green bananas 2 medium sized
- Coconut Oil 3 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Dry Red chilies a few
- Curry leaves a few
- Salt as required
- Water a little
- Wash and peel the plantains or green bananas.
- Cut the plantains into small cube sized pieces. You can first cut it lengthwise, then make it into halves and then dice into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start spluttering, add red chilies and curry leaves, fry for a few seconds.
- Add the diced plantains and stir fry for about 1 minute.
- Add the salt and sprinkle little water in the pan, then keep the pan closed and cook in low flame for about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Open the pan and see if the plantain pieces are cooked and soft, if not cook for few more minutes.
- Keep the pan opened and stir fry for another 2 minutes gently mixing in between so that all the pieces are fried evenly. The raw banana fry or kaya mezhukkupuratti is ready to be served!
Hope you found this post on kaya mezhukkupuratti South Indian Kerala style recipe helpful!