Kerala Egg Roast Recipe – Dry Egg Roast Recipe Kerala Style – How To Prepare South Indian Egg Roast For Chapathi, Biriyani, Rice, Appam – Egg Masala Roast Recipe
Kerala egg roast recipe for dry egg masala (egg masala without gravy or egg curry recipe Kerala style) gives you the most delicious and spicy egg roast or egg masala. See tomato egg curry recipe here (with gravy).
This Kerala style nadan egg roast (locally popular egg roast) is perfect to be used as a side dish for chapathi, poori or appam or you can enjoy this delicious egg roast with caramelized onions and spices with white rice for lunch. You can also incorporate this delicious egg roast in to biriyanis to make egg biriyanis or egg masala rice.
The dry egg roast or egg masala made from Kerala egg roast recipe is so delicious with the boiled eggs coated in the combined flavors of perfectly caramelized onions in exotic spices.
This Kerala style egg roast is quite spicy, but you can make this dry egg roast or egg masala more or less spicy by adjusting the flavors. You can play with the flavors but please don’t compromise in case of perfectly browned and caramelized onions as this is what gives the perfect flavor for this dry egg masala or dry egg roast made from the Kerala egg roast recipe.
The steps are quite very simple to follow, but we need some patience as we need to wait for the onions to get caramelized.
So here is how you can make this delicious dry egg roast or egg masala for chapathi or rice or biriyani following this Kerala egg roast recipe with exotic spices.
Makes 2 servings of delicious egg roast
Kerala Egg Roast Recipe – Egg Curry Recipe Kerala Style
Ingredients for Kerala egg roast recipe – dry egg masala recipe
- eggs 2
- onion 1 large
- salt as required
- Oil 4 tablespoons (or more as required)
- turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- red chili powder 2 teaspoons (reduce if you don’t want it spicy)
- black pepper powder 1 teaspoon (don’t use if you don’t want it spicy)
- cumin seeds powder 1/2 teaspoon
- garam masala powder 2 to 3 teaspoons
Instructions for egg roast/egg masala recipe Kerala style
- Boil the eggs for 10 minutes and keep aside for cooling.
- Chop the onion lengthwise.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and when the oil is hot, add the onions.
- Saute the onions, stirring occasionally, until the onions are browned and caramelized.
- Caramelizing the onion will take some long time like around 45 minutes, so we need some patience for getting the best browned and caramelized onions. You don’t have to stir this continuously, but stir the onions occasionally as they get caramelized and keep the heat in medium.
- As the onion starts browning more and more, add salt and it is good to check frequently and stir so that the onions won’t get burnt at the bottom of the pan. Towards the end, it tends to brown so quickly so keep watching in the last minutes of the process. You can add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in between which will help with the process by reducing the problem of onion sticking to the pan.
- Meanwhile when the eggs are cooled enough, gently peel the shell of the eggs.
- You can cut the boiled eggs in half lengthwise so you have 4 pieces of egg halves, keep the boiled egg halves aside.
- As soon as the onions are caramelized, add all the spices, mix well and cook in low heat for about 1 to 2 minutes as the caramelized onions will get well mixed with the spices. You can add a little bit of oil too if needed.
- Now gently drop the egg halves on top of the onions in masala, preferably with the yellow side up so the yellow won’t get mixed with the curry.
- Spoon out some onion masala from the pan and gently spread over the egg halves while the eggs are getting roasted in the spices. You can gently press the onion masala with the egg halves using the spoon.
- Cook in low heat for about 1 to 2 minutes until the eggs are roasted and well blended with the onion masala.
Serve hot as a side dish with chapathi, appam or rice or use as a topping for delicious biriyani or use as a filling for toast to make a sandwich!
Hope you found this post on Kerala egg roast recipe or dry egg masala recipe helpful!