Kerala vegetarian curry recipes for lunch collection include easy vegetarian curry recipes for Kerala style vegetarian lunch & dinner.
11 South Indian Kerala Vegetarian Recipes For Side Dish Collection
These Kerala vegetarian curry recipes are easy to make, the only thing is if you are not used to Indian cooking, you may find it a while before you get used to the use of exotic spices in cooking.
Many of the Kerala vegetarian recipes are vegan too, so do check the links.
Almost all Indian cuisines uses exotic spices and in Kerala recipes too, you can see a lot of spices in different food recipes. Other than spices, one thing that you will find a lot in Kerala recipes is coconut.
The use of coconut & coconut oil is unique to Kerala cuisine, as the use of coconut in food is much more in Kerala compared to other other Indian cuisines, even other South Indian cuisines.
And it is not coconut flour that you see in Kerala recipes. In Kerala recipes, a lot of coconut is used in the form of freshly grated coconut.
You can use dry shredded unsweetened coconut in place of freshly grated coconut if you can’t get fresh coconut.
Coconut trees and fresh coconut are abundant in Kerala, so it is very natural that you can find a lot of recipes using coconut. Coconut milk is also used to thicken curries and also used in place of regular milk for desserts.
Traditionally coconut oil is used for Kerala recipes, even though nowadays people also use other oils for cooking. However, many traditional Kerala recipes call for coconut oil which adds a wonderful flavor to the recipes.
I have a lot of Kerala vegetarian recipes in my blog and while few of them include eggs, many of them are pure vegetarian recipes.
See all the Kerala recipes in this blog here and you can see all Kerala vegetarian curry recipes in this blog here. You can also find all Kerala traditional food recipes in this blog here.
Kerala vegetarian curry recipes for lunch & dinner – Kerala vegetarian curry recipes for rice
- Potato Masala Kootu Curry Recipe is one of the most loved potato curry for rice which is even one of the curry recipes used for Kerala feast known as Kerala sadya. This is delicious, made with potatoes, onion, spices & coconut milk. It can be served along with rice for lunch or dinner.
- Mixed Vegetables With Coconut & Spices Avial Recipe – This is a very traditional and authentic Kerala recipe which is made using a healthy mix of vegetables with coconut & spices.
Avial is another important curry for Kerala feast or Kerala sadya and it is popular as a side dish for lunch or dinner which can be served along with rice and other curries.
- Potato Avial Recipe Kerala Style is another easy version of Kerala style avial recipe, where we don’t use a mix of vegetables, but we use potatoes to make the easy avial to serve with rice for lunch or dinner.
- Kerala Parippu Curry Recipe (Mung Bean Curry) is a very healthy, delicious, simple and popular Kerala vegetarian curry recipes for lunch and dinner. It is made with yellow mung beans, coconut and spices and served with rice for Kerala feast and is also regularly made at homes as it is a kids favorite curry dish too.
Sambar recipe is another popular vegetarian curry recipe used in Kerala (like other South Indian states like Tamilnadu) which is also served for Kerala feast and regularly prepared at homes to be served with rice for Kerala style lunch & dinner.
This is basically a delicious and healthy combination of vegetables & lentils with spices and there are many kinds of sambar which can be prepared.
- Authentic Sambar Recipe is made following the traditional method of making sambar, and this is the kind of sambar used for Kerala feast for weddings and celebrations.
- Easy Sambar Recipe Using Mixed Vegetables is an easy version of making delicious sambar using mixed vegetables, which can be easily prepared to be served with rice for lunch and dinner.
- See all sambar recipes in my blog here (not all popular in Kerala though)
- Kerala Style Chickpea Curry With Roasted Coconut & Spices (kadala curry) is one of the most popular Kerala vegetarian curry recipes for lunch or dinner or breakfast.
In fact this delicious chickpea curry made with roasted coconut in spices is served along with Kerala style puttu or appam for breakfast and can be used for rice for lunch or dinner as well.
- Vanpayar Thoran Recipe or Red Cowpeas With Coconut is a popular red cowpeas dish made with grated coconut and spices and is served with rice for lunch or dinner. It is also popularly served with rice soup known as Kanji which is a simple traditional dinner from Kerala. Read more about kanji payar here.
- Cherupayar Thoran Recipe or Green Mung Beans With Coconut is one of the most popular Kerala dish which is served with rice for lunch or dinner or served with rice soup known as kanji for dinner.
It is very delicious and healthy and easy and simple to prepare.
You can see cherupayar curry with gravy (green mung beans curry with gravy) here
- Cucumber With Yogurt Vellarikka Kichadi recipe is another popular but very simple and delicious dish which can be served with rice for lunch and dinner.
Vellarikka pachadi or kichadi can be made with or without coconut and there are different recipes for making this easy and delicious yogurt based dish.
Other vegetables are also used with yogurt to make Kerala style pachadi (also known as kichadi) recipes to be served as side dishes to be enjoyed with rice for lunch or dinner.
Yogurt & coconut based curry recipes are popular in Kerala which are simple curries served with rice for lunch and dinner.
- Spinach Coconut Curry With Spices (cheera ozhichu curry) is a Kerala vegetarian curry for lunch or dinner to be served with rice.
These kind of curry recipes made based on coconut or yogurt or simply spices is generally known as ozhichu curry recipes in Kerala, and they can be made in a different ways and there are many different ways to prepare them and they may differ from region to region even with in Kerala.
You can read more about ozhichu curry recipes here.
Hope you found this post on Kerala vegetarian curry recipes for lunch & dinner helpful!
Leave a Reply