Potato Kootu Curry Recipe – Potato Masala Recipe With Coconut Milk (Without Gravy) – Authentic Kerala Style Potato kootu Curry Recipe
Very Yummy Potato Curry Recipe Easy – Potato Curry Recipe Without Gravy
Kootu curry recipe (as known in Kerala) is one of the most delicious potato curry recipe where diced potatoes are cooked in coconut milk and spices along with sauteed onions. The result is a thick curry made of potatoes and onions in coconut milk and spices. You can modify the recipe and make it with gravy if you add more coconut milk or just a little more water. However it is popular without the gravy as it is served for Kerala feast (South Indian) known as Kerala sadya.
After seeing the photos I took, I think some of you might think the curry looks like it has gravy, because to me it looks like that. But in reality, this is just the masala coated potatoes and onions, and there is no gravy( maybe you can say very little thick gravy).
Here is how you can make this potato kootu curry for rice which can also be used with chapati or dosa or any flatbread as you wish.
It is as easy as sauteing the onions, then cooking the onions and potatoes in coconut milk along with spices. This kootu curry recipe is very yummy yet very easy to prepare.
You might like to see my post on Indian mashed potatoes recipe known as aloo ka bharta recipe (which is also vegetarian as well as vegan recipe)
Ingredients for kootu curry recipe – potato curry recipe easy
- Potatoes 3 to 4 medium sized
- Onion 1
- Coconut milk 1 cup
- Cashew nuts a few (optional)
- turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- red chili powder 1/4 teaspoon
- cumin seeds powder 1/4 teaspoon
- coriander powder 2 tablespoons
- garam masala powder 2 teaspoons
- Salt as required
- mustard seeds 1 teaspoon (or use cumin seeds)
- red chilies 3 to 4
- curry leaves a few
- Organic Coconut Oil 2 tablespoons (or more as required)
Instructions to prepare Kerala style potato kootu curry – potato masala curry with coconut milk (no gravy recipe)
- Peel and slice the onion, keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds or cumin seeds (I used cumin seeds in this recipe)
- As the seeds start to splutter, add the red chilies and curry leaves fry for a few seconds.
- Add the sliced onion and saute well, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and saute the onion really well until the onion slices are almost transparent and browned. This will take around 10 to 12 minutes of sauteing.
- Meanwhile peel the potatoes and dice them into cubes.
- After the onions are sauteed, add the potatoes also to the pan and add more salt, now mix everything well. Let the potatoes get sauteed for about 4 to 5 minutes. Add more oil if required.
- Once the potatoes are also sauteed well, you can add the coconut milk and cashew nuts.
- Mix everything well and bring it to a boil.
- As the coconut milk starts boiling, reduce the heat and close the pan, let it get cooked for about 5 to 6 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked and soft. You can add a little more coconut milk if needed (in case all coconut milk is absorbed before the potatoes are cooked completely).
- Now add all the spices to the pan, mix everything well.
- You can cook for few more minutes in medium heat without closing the pan, if there is any gravy left. We don’t need any gravy for this recipe, so you can wait for few more minutes until all gravy is absorbed.
- Now your no gravy potato masala curry with coconut milk is ready to be served!
You can serve this along with rice for lunch or dinner or you can use this as a side dish for dosa or chapathi.
Hope you found this kootu curry recipe or potato masala curry recipe helpful!