How To Make Fried Sweet Plantains In A Skillet – Easy Sweet Fried Plantains Recipe
You can make fried sweet plantains in a skillet following this super easy sweet fried plantains recipe which uses ripe and sweet plantains which are also known as yellow plantain bananas or cooking bananas.
If you use unripe plantains or plantains which are not sweet it won’t work. So if you are going to try this sweet fried plantains recipe, make sure you have ripe plantain bananas which are sweet.
The sweeter the plantains, the more delicious the dish will be. We also use a few spoons of sugar to add more sweetness and to help caramelize or brown the outer side of plantains, you can adjust the amount of sugar as you wish. I also used ghee to fry the ripe plantains. I highly recommend you to use ghee to fry the plantains as the flavor of the ghee adds much to the flavor of the fried plantains.
Ghee is clarified butter which is popularly used in Indian cuisine, especially for sweets and desserts or on dishes where rich flavor is needed. In case you don’t like the flavor of ghee, suggest using butter.
A good skillet will go a long way if you want to make delicious fried plantains. I actually shallow fried the cut plantains in ghee in the skillet which browned the outer side of the plantains and cooked the inside of the fruit, while it remained still soft inside.I love this cast iron skillet of mine which helps with different kinds of cooking and which is very easy to maintain also.
We are not deep frying the plantains in this recipe, rather we are shallow frying the ripe and sweet plantains which gets browned outside but soft inside and this skillet fried sweet plantains are too delicious, you can use this as a quick and easy breakfast recipe or you can use this as a quick snack for evening tea or even use this as a quick and easy dessert for dinner, as they are delicious and sweet like a dessert.
So if you want to eat dessert for breakfast, this sweet fried plantains recipe can be used as a very quick and easy dessert for breakfast recipe as well.
You might like to see my post on easy fritters recipe using plantain bananas where ripe plantains are dipped in batter and fried to make delicious plantain banana fritters.
As I already mentioned above, please make sure you are using ripe and sweet plantains for this recipe.
So here is how to make fried sweet plantains or the easy and best sweet fried plantains recipe which can be used as a dessert for breakfast, dinner or snack as you wish.
Easy Fried Sweet Plantains Recipe Below
Fried Sweet Plantains Recipe, How To Make Fried Sweet Plantains For Breakfast & Dessert
- 4 Ripe & sweet yellow plantains
- 6 tablespoons Ghee or butter (or more as required)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder optional
- Peel all the plantains and keep them in a plate.
- Cut each plantain lengthwise (using a good chopping board as they can be little slippery in hands), thus making two long slices out of each ripe plantain.
- Transfer all cut plantain slices back to the plate (from the chopping board) and sprinkle sugar and cardamom powder to the slices.
- Gently mix the plantains slices with the sugar and cardamom powder using your hands or use a silicone pastry brush. Now all the ripe and sweet plantain slices are ready to be shallow fried in the skillet.
- Add the ghee (or butter)to the skillet and heat the skillet.
- When the skillet is hot, add the slices to the skillet one by one very gently without splashing the hot ghee.
- Make sure you are not overcrowding the skillet as wee need some space to flip the slices, I suggest frying two to three slices at a time for an average sized skillet.
- Keep the skillet in medium heat and fry the slices for about 1 minute or until the bottom side of the slices are golden brown colored.
- Now gently and carefully flip each slice using a good spatula so the other side of the slices will also get fried and slightly browned. If you think you need more ghee or butter to fry all sides properly, feel free to add more.
- The other side of the slices should get fried and golden browned in color in another one minute. You can gently move the slices in the ghee to the edges of the skillet to fry the ends of the slices as well.
- Carefully transfer the fried sweet plantains from the hot skillet to the serving plate. (please don't use plastic plates as they may melt in hot oil, always use durable steel or ceramic ware to handle very hot food like fried dishes).
- Fry all the sweet plantain slices as above. Easy and delicious fried sweet plantains are read to serve, enjoy the dish for breakfast, snack or dinner time!
Hope you find the post the post on how to make fried sweet plantains or sweet fried plantains recipe helpful!