Moru curry without coconut is a very easy and quick moru ozhichu curry for rice for vegetarian lunch & dinner prepared in Kerala style (South Indian).
Moru curry, also known as pulissery or moru kachiyathu is a yogurt based curry, popularly served with rice for lunch and dinner, from South India. This is also known as mor kulambu or mor kuzhambu without coconut.
This Kerala style moru curry is basically diluted yogurt in spices and it is also popularly known as moru kachiyathu in Kerala. This is also known as pulissery recipe (without coconut here) which indicates the dish is a sour curry.
Moru curry can be translated as buttermilk curry in English but we basically use thick yogurt diluted with little water and flavored with mild spices to prepare this easy, quick and yummy side dish which is served with rice for lunch or dinner.
Turmeric powder is an important ingredient for this recipe.
We also use mustard seeds, red chilies and a few other ingredients other than yogurt.
There are many variations in Kerala style moru curry recipes and this similar Kerala style pulissery recipe uses grind coconut along with yogurt (and may or may not uses vegetables).
This simple and easy fix for moru curry without coconut is an easy moru curry recipe made without coconut (as you can see) and it only uses yogurt and very few spices.
Moru curry without coconut is easy, quick and simple to prepare yet delicious. The yogurt in spices has a cooling effect on body and this is perfect for summer time.
Moru curry recipe is easy to follow and simple and quick to make but it can be little tricky if you are not careful.
The yogurt or curd can curdle if you add the yogurt to the very hot seasoning and there could be lumps and the texture won’t be just right if you don’t mix it well enough to avoid any lumps before making the dish.
If you take care of these two things, the dish is really easy and delicious to serve with rice for lunch or dinner.
You can serve rice with moru curry and avial for example, which makes an awesome combination for lunch.
So here is how you can prepare moru curry without coconut following this easy and simple recipe for moru curry without coconut.
Moru Curry Without Coconut, Yogurt Curry With Spices Recipe Below
Moru Curry Without Coconut, Easy Yogurt Curry Recipe
- 4 cups yogurt (curd)
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 dry red chilies
- 1 string curry leaves
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add red chilies and curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- The seasoning for the dish is ready, you can switch off the stove for now and keep the pan away from heat so the seasoning will cool down.
- Meanwhile mix yogurt in a bowl (using a spoon) to avoid any lumps.
- Add salt and water to the yogurt and mix well until well combined.
- Once the seasoning is cooled enough (so that the yogurt won't curdle anymore), add the diluted yogurt to the seasoning and mix well.
- Add the spices - turmeric powder and red chili powder and mix everything well.
- Switch on the stove and heat the saucepan (with the yogurt in seasoning and spices). Stir continuously and watch closely so you can see that the dish is getting slightly hot and the spices are getting blended with the yogurt it starts turning light yellow in color.
- Once the dish is slightly hot and starts turning slightly yellow, switch off the stove and keep the saucepan away from heat. It is very important that you should not bring the mixture to a boil, or it will curdle. Stop cooking and keep away from heat as soon as the dish is slightly hot. Once you have kept the pan away from the stove for cooling, within a few minutes of time, you can see that the yogurt is turned yellow as the turmeric and chili powder has blended very well with the yogurt.
- After few minutes stir gently, and now the moru curry without coconut or yogurt in spices is ready to be served! Serve the moru curry with rice and other side dishes or pickles or chutneys for lunch or dinner!
More Pictures From The Preparation Of Moru Curry Without Coconut
Hope you found this post on moru curry without coconut helpful in making easy and cool moru curry to be served with rice for lunch or dinner.