Easy Healthy Vegan Mung Bean Curry Recipe Indian – Easy Healthy Mung Beans Curry With Coconut & Spices – Yellow Moong Dal Curry With Coconut For Rice
Yellow Mung Bean Curry Indian Recipe – Cherupayar Parippu Curry Recipe – Nadan Parippu Curry Recipe For Kerala Sadya – Kerala Style Vegetarian Lunch & Dinner
This mung bean curry recipe Indian style South Indian Kerala style recipe) is made of yellow mung beans which is skin removed form of whole green mung beans. This mung bean curry recipe uses yellow mung beans and grated coconut as the main ingredients with added spices and it goes great with rice for lunch or dinner. See all mung bean recipes in my blog here.
As I mentioned, this is a Kerala style recipe (South Indian) – You can see all Kerala recipes in my blog here.
This is a healthy yellow lentil soup recipe, popularly known as moong dal curry or cherupayar parippu curry recipe in Kerala. Moong dal or mung beans is very commonly used to make dal fry in southern parts of Kerala. This style of dal fry popularly known as parippu curry is served for Onam feast (kerala festival feast) known as Onam sadya, wedding feasts and other celebrations, and also for usual lunches at homes.
This dal fry or moong dal curry do not use any vegetables, but the main ingredients are moong dal or mung beans, coconut and very few spices. It is easy to prepare, healthy and loved by kids and adults alike.
This Kerala style moong dal beans curry or soup is made using a pressure cooker.
The Kerala style moong dal curry goes well with rice for lunch or dinner, but you can also use this as a tasty and different kind of side dish for dosa and chapathis.
So here is how we prepare this traditional dal recipe from Kerala sadya (sadya means feast)
Ingredients for mung bean curry recipe – Kerala parippu curry recipe
- Moong dal (yellow mung beans) 1.5 cups
- Grated coconut 1 cup
- Water 6 cups
- Salt as required
- Garlic crushed 2 to 3 cloves
- ginger crushed 1 teaspoon (optional)
- turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- red chili powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Jeera cumin seeds 1 teaspoon (optional)
Instructions for mung bean curry recipe with coconut – Parippu curry Kerala recipe
- Heat the pressure cooker, add moong dal (yellow mung beans) and dry roast for about 4 to 5 minutes or until the raw smell goes away. The mung beans should not change in color.
- If you have a grinder or food processor, you can grind together – grated coconut and all spices including cumin seeds, turmeric, red chili powder and also garlic. If you don’t want to use a grinder, you can skip the cumin seeds – but add the other ingredients including coconut, garlic and spices to the roasted mung beans (moong dal).
- Add salt and fry for another 1 minute.
- Add the water, mix well and pressure cook the contents for about 7 to 8 minutes or until 2 whistles come.
- Once the pressure cooker is cooled, open the cooker and mix everything well.
- If you need more liquid like consistency, you can always add more water – because cooked yellow mung beans tend to thicken as it cools down.
Serve the hot moong dal curry with rice for lunch or use it as a side dish for flat breads and dosa or just serve it as a healthy lentil soup with spices!
Notes: The traditional way of enjoying moong dal with rice includes adding a spoon of ghee along with dal.
Hope you found this post on yellow mung bean curry recipe – Kerala parippu curry recipe for Kerala style vegetarian lunch & dinner or healthy & easy vegetarian & vegan lunch or dinner helpful!