Spicy Mushroom Masala Dry Kerala Style Recipe – Spicy Mushroom Pepper Masala Using Black Peppercorns
Spicy mushroom masala dry recipe made in South Indian Kerala style is a delicious and easy mushroom masala fry made without tomatoes.
We use onions in the preparation of this spicy mushroom masala fry, which is very important for the perfect flavor and taste of this dish. Serve this spicy mushroom masala fry with rice for lunch or dinner and please any mushroom lovers who also love spicy food.
If you love crispy mushrooms, see my recipe for crispy Indian style spiced mushrooms stir fry recipe here. This recipe is not a crispy mushroom stir fry recipe, but this is a dry mushroom masala recipe which uses onions and spices, which is very delicious and easy to prepare too. By saying ‘mushroom masala dry recipe’, I mean there is no gravy for this dish, but nevertheless the mushrooms are coated in masala of onions and spices which makes it very delicious.
For the spiciness, we use dry red chilies, whole black peppercorns and also different spices. You may reduce the amount of dry chilies used or black peppercorns if you want to reduce the spiciness a little, however this mushroom masala tastes the best when it is made spicy and hot and using whole black peppercorns add so much flavor this easy and delicious mushroom dish.
We also use garlic in this mushroom masala fry, which is very important as well, however you may also use garlic powder of you don’t have fresh garlic.
So here is how you can make this South Indian Kerala style spicy mushroom masala fry following this easy spicy mushroom masala dry recipe without tomatoes.
You may use a mushroom brush to help clean the mushrooms without using water.
Spicy Mushroom Masala Dry Recipe Below
- White button mushrooms sliced 16 oz
- onions medium sized 2
- oil 4 tablespoons
- mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- dry red chilies 4 to 5
- curry leaves a few
- turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- cumin seeds powder 1/4 teaspoon
- garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- black peppercorns 1 tablespoon
- black pepper powder 1/2 teaspoon
- crushed garlic 2 to 3 cloves
- crushed ginger 1 tablespoon
- salt as needed
- cilantro leaves chopped 1 tablespoon
- Peel and slice the onions in long thin slices, keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add red chilies and curry leaves, fry for a few seconds.
- Add the sliced onions and enough salt, stir fry another 8 to 10 minutes or until the onions turns transparent and lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the lightly browned onions and stir fry for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan, give everything a good stir and let the mushrooms get cooked in low to medium heat until all the water from the mushrooms is released and evaporated and the mushrooms have almost cooked and reduced in size. This took around 15 to 20 minutes of time for me. While you are cooking the mushrooms, make sure to stir the mushrooms in between.
- Once all the water content from the mushrooms is evaporated and the mushrooms are almost cooked, add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin seeds powder and also enough salt, stir well.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan and stir fry the contents for another 4 to 5 minutes in low heat until the spices are well blended with the mushrooms and the oil starts separating.
- Finally add the garam masala powder and also the black peppercorns, mix well and stir fry for another 2 more minutes.
- Add the chopped cilantro leaves and gently mix in.
Serve the delicious and spicy mushroom masala fry with black peppercorns with rice or any flatbread as you like.
Hope you found this post on spicy mushroom masala dry helpful in making easy and delicious mushroom masala fry with peppercorns.