Oats Kanji Recipe – Oats Soup Recipe – South Indian Style Vegetarian Weight Loss Recipes – Dairy Free Oatmeal Recipe (Without Milk)
How To Make Oats Kanji With Cherupayar/Green Mung Beans/Green Grams
Oats kanji recipe or oats soup recipe with green grams (green mung beans) is easy to prepare and you can enjoy this as part of a vegetarian weight loss recipe if you wish. Kanji refers to soup in malayalam language and it is a tradition to have the rice soup mixed with green grams (or red cowpeas or horsegrams) for dinner in many South Indian Kerala homes.
If you are trying to avoid or reduce rice for health reasons like weight loss and wants to use oats instead of rice for kanji or soup, you can easily enjoy this oats kanji recipe with cherupayar. I have this spicy oatmeal soup recipe here which is an easy oatmeal soup which can be enjoyed if you are trying to lose weight on a vegetarian diet and if you love spicy food.
I have the traditional kanji payar recipe here which is the traditional rice soup enjoyed in Kerala.
This oats kanji recipe is easy to follow, healthy and this is a vegetarian/vegan oats soup recipe perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
We prepare the cherupayar for kanji (green grams) in advance and then make the oats soup with the prepared green grams in microwave. You can find my recipe for cherupayar thoran or recipe for green mung bean with coconut here, which you needs to make the cherupayar thoran or green mung beans for this oats kanji recipe.
Instead of cherupayar thoran, you may also use vanpayar thoran (red cowpeas with coconut) to make this oatmeal kanji if you wish.
As I mentioned above, we will first prepare the green grams separately and then make the oats soup/kanji in microwave. The cooked green grams or cherupayar thoran already has got garlic in it, but we will add a bit more garlic powder to the oatmeal as we cook it, as it adds much flavor to the oats soup.
So here is how you can make this oats soup or oats kanji following this oats kanji recipe or oats soup recipe.
Oats Kanji Recipe With Payar – Oats soup Recipe South Indian Style
Ingredients for oats kanji recipe
- oatmeal 1/2 cup
- cooked green grams with coconut (see recipe here) 1/2 cup (or more if you need)
- salt as required
- garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon
- red chili flakes a little (optional)
- water 2 cups (add more if needed)
Instructions for oats kanji recipe
- Cook the green grams following this recipe (adjust the amount of ingredients if you don’t want to make the said amount of green grams as mentioned in the recipe. Or you can prepare more of this and keep the left overs for later use).
- Add the oatmeal, water and salt to a microwave safe bowl and microwave in high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add half a cup of cooked green grams with coconut, garlic powder and also sprinkle little red chili flakes to the oatmeal and microwave for another 2 minutes or about a minute more until the oatmeal is well cooked.
- Give a cool off time for the cooked oatmeal soup until its cool enough to handle.
- Stir the contents well, sprinkle a bit of your favorite spices like black pepper powder or dried oregano powder if you wish. Serve and enjoy!
Hope you found this post on oats kanji recipe or oats soup recipe for weight loss helpful!