One pot chickpea curry (or kadala curry Kerala style with coconut) can be prepared so easily and it is quick, healthy and delicious.
The above picture shows the chickpea curry with coconut served with Kerala style breakfast puttu (puttu is a popular Kerala breakfast dish (see recipe here) made of steamed flour which is usually served with chickpea curry like this or bananas and sugar).
This one pot chickpea curry is a South Indian dish, this is a Kerala style recipe to be exact and we prepare this easy and delicious one pot chickpea curry using coconut and exotic spices.
Kadala is simply the malayalam word used for chickpeas in Kerala.
I have already posted popular chickpea curry with roasted coconut and spices which is also a Kerala recipe. See chickpea curry recipe with roasted coconut here.
This chickpea recipe is much easier as we are using raw coconut (we don’t have to roast the coconut) and so much easier because it is a one pot recipe made using pressure cooker.
I am using dried chickpeas for this one pot chickpea curry recipe, so I need to soak this prior to cooking. If you are using canned chickpeas, you can skip this step.
So here is how you can easily make this one pot chickpea curry or easy kadala curry Kerala style recipe with coconut.
One Pot Chickpea Curry Recipe With Coconut
- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- 5 cups water plus more for soaking chickpeas
- 2 cups grated or shredded coconut
- 2 green chilies
- 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed or ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 red chilies
- 1 string curry leaves
- Wash the chickpeas and soak in enough water in a bowl for about 7 to 8 hours at least or overnight for best results.
- After soaking, drain the water use to soak the chickpeas, light rinse again and keep aside.
- Blend the coconut and green chilies along with 3 to 4 cups of water in a good quality blender.
- Heat the coconut oil in pressure cooker, add the mustard seeds (if you do not have coconut oil, you can use any oil that your prefer).
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add the chickpeas and stir for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut mix to the chickpeas, mix well.
- Add salt and all spices, mix well and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add the remaining water, mix well and close the pressure cooker with the safety valve. Always follow the directions in the manual while using a pressure cooker.
- Cook in medium heat for about 3 to 4 whistles or about 12 to 14 minutes of cooking.
- After 14 minutes, switch off the stove and let the pressure cooker cool down.
- When the pressure cooker is cooled, you can open the cooker and see if the chickpeas is cooked and soft enough, and if everything is blended well with the spices. You can also check to see if the gravy is enough, if you want more gravy, you can add little more water and heat for another 1 minute or so.
- Mix everything well and the delicious chickpea curry in coconut gravy is ready to serve!
Hope you found this post on one pot chickpea curry recipe with coconut helpful!