One Pot Yellow Rice And Beans Recipe – Easy Yellow Rice And Beans Recipe Kid Friendly Recipe (with coconut)
This yellow rice and beans is very easy to prepare, simple, quick and delicious. It is vegetarian and vegan recipe perfect for lunch or dinner and it is so easy to fix in very less time and minimal efforts. See easy simple and basic yellow rice recipe with turmeric here. You can also see all Indian rice recipes in my blog here, perfect for lunch or dinner.
This yellow rice and beans recipe is a kid friendly rice recipe as well, as the spices used are very mild and the dish is tasty without much ingredients. I have use coconut in this yellow rice recipe and it is really delicious with coconut but you may also prepare it without coconut if you don’t want to use coconut. If you don’t have freshly grated coconut, you can also use dry shredded unsweetened coconut for the preparation of this yellow rice and beans with coconut and spices.
The beans I have used here for this yellow rice and beans preparation is green mung beans which is very healthy and packed with a lot of protein which is great for vegetarian diets. It is also easy to cook as the cooking time is faster compared to other kind of beans and it is delicious too. See all mung beans recipes in my blog here.
I have not used any onions in the preparation, as I wanted to make it really easy and quick but this yellow rice and beans recipe is very flexible, you can easily tweak it to add sauteed or caramelized onions to the dish just before adding the rice and beans to the pot.
The addition of spices make this yellow rice and beans recipe very healthy and flavorful.
So here is how I made this easy and healthy yellow rice and beans for lunch following this easy yellow rice and beans recipe.
Ingredients for easy healthy yellow rice and beans recipe
- White basmati rice 3/4 cup
- Green mung beans 1/2 cup
- Grated or shredded coconut 1/2 cup
- salt as required
- water 3.5 Cups
- turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- ginger garlic paste 2 tablespoons
- oil 1 tablespoon (you may also use butter or ghee if not vegan)
- cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- red chilies a few (optional)
- bay leaf 1 (optional)
Instructions for yellow rice and beans recipe using green mung beans
- Wash the rice and green mung beans, soak them in water for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, drain the water and lightly rinse the rice and beans and keep them aside in a bowl.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker and fry the cumin seeds.
- Add red chilies and when chilies are fried, add the bay leaf and saute for few seconds.
- Add the rice and green mung beans, roast for about a minute in low heat.
- Add the grated coconut, ginger garlic paste and saute for another one minute.
- Add salt and all spices, mix well and roast for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the water, mix well all the contents and close the pressure cooker with the valve. Please follow all directions in the manual while using a pressure cooker.
- Cook in medium heat for about 8 to 10 minutes or until 2 whistles come.
- After 8 to 10 minutes of cooking, switch off the cooker and wait for it to cool down.
- When the pressure cooker is cooled enough, you can open the cooker and see if the rice and beans are cooked enough and soft and blended with all the spices and coconut nicely.
- Mix well using a fork and serve hot for lunch or dinner!
You can serve this easy yellow rice with green mung beans as it is or with fresh yogurt or raitha or any chutneys or curries you like!
Hope you found this easy simple yellow rice and beans recipe helpful!