Ozhichu curry for rice or Kerala ozhichu curry recipes made in nadan Kerala style include curry recipes made in Kerala style which can be used along with rice.
The ozhichu curry for rice is sometimes also referred as ozhichu kootan or simply ozhichootan which means something to pour over rice to eat the rice (just to make the rice for more tasty).
Many of these curries can be used with Indian flatbread like chapathi or Indian pancakes like dosa, though they are commonly enjoyed with rice. It is all your choice what you would like to serve it with.
Ozhichu curry is word in Malayalam language and it means this kind of curries can be poured over rice and you can mix and eat it with the rice.
Usually in Kerala boiled brown rice is cooked and using this kind of ozhichu curry along with the cooked rice is quite popular. You just pour this ozhichu curry over the rice and mix to form the delicious homemade lunch.
Ozhichu Curry For Rice
- One of the most easy and popular moru ozhichu curry recipe for rice. You can make this with or without coconut. Below recipe for easy moru curry is made without coconut which is very easy to prepare quickly.
This post on ozhichu curry recipes is meant to help you with different ideas on preparing ozhichu curry recipes at home, I will add more recipe links here in this post as I add more and more recipes in blog.
- Pulissery Recipe or traditional moru ozhichu curry with coconut, yogurt & spices makes a very yummy, simple and healthy ozhichu curry or gravy for rice.
You can also add some vegetables while making the yogurt and coconut based ozhichu curry recipes. In my blog, I have moru ozhichu curry using tomatoes & also cucumbers which are quite popular in Kerala. See the recipes blow.
- Tomato Moru Ozhichu Curry or tomato pulissery – Yummy and easy tomato yogurt with coconut & spices makes a very simple and tasty gravy to be enjoyed with rice. This is easy to prepare, it is healthy and simple and you can quickly prepare this for lunch or dinner.
- Vellarikka Moru Curry Or Vellarikka Pulissery – Cucumber Curry With Yogurt, Cococnut & Spices makes a very yummy, easy and healthy coconut & yogurt based ozhichu curry for rice, which uses fresh cucumbers as well. The addition of cucumbers make the dish more yummy and has a very cooling effect on the hot summer months or whenever you want to enjoy something simple and yummy with rice.
Here is another similar, easy, yummy and popular Kerala style cucumber curry which you can enjoy with rice.
It is common to add starchy vegetables like green plantains, potatoes etc to such curry recipes with lentils and you can also add green leafy vegetables like spinach or drumstick leaves. As I enter the posts for them in the future, I will add more links here.
- Cheera Ozhichu Curry Recipe With Rice For Lunch & Dinner Image below. This cheera ozhichu curry is made using fresh spinach and coconut (without yogurt) and spices. It makes a very healthy and yummy ozhichu curry for rice.
This kind of vegetarian lunches prepared in Kerala style are mostly healthy, delicious and very simple to make. There are many kind of Kerala ozhichu curry recipes which are popular and many of the recipes for ozhichu curry for rice are made with coconut or without coconut.
The use of coconut in Kerala recipes is quite common due to the wide availability of coconuts in Kerala, and so many recipes are made with adding fresh coconuts and exotic spices.
The main ingredient for many of these kerala ozhicu curry recipes is made with blending coconut and spices together which makes the gravy for the rice.
As this is a vegetarian blog, we will have a look at the most popular vegetarian ozhichu curry recipes you can have with rice or whatever you like.
In my blog I have some Kerala ozhichu curry recipes which can be used as ozhichu curry for rice and I have linked to them in this blog post. I have plans to add more in future and as I add more posts of these recipes, I will add the links here.
There are many kinds of Kerala ozhichu curry recipes which can be used as ozhicurry for rice, dosa or chapathi.
Some of the popular ozhichu curry recipes are based on lentils like green mung beans, red cowpeas, chickpeas etc.
I have posted my recipes for payar ozhichu curry recipes using red cowpeas and also green mung beans. The cherupayar curry and vanpayar curry makes great gravies for rice and kanji (rice soup) and you can also use them as side dish with chapathi, poori, dosa or idli as you like.
You can see the cheruayar curry and vanpayar curry recipes here.
- Cherupayar Curry Recipe – Cherupayar Ozhichu Curry Recipe For Rice Or Chapathi Or Dosa- Cherupayar Ozhichu Curry Recipe With Coconut
For best results, always blend or grind together the coconut and spices together. If you are in a hurry, you can also just mix up everything and add it to the dish to form the gravy.
- Vanpayar Curry Recipe – Vanpayar Ozhicu Curry Recipe For Rice Or Chapathi Or Dosa – Vanpayar Ozhichu Curry Recipe With Coconut
The above recipes of payar curry uses coconut, but there are other ways to prepare them without coconut.
- Cherupayar Curry Without Using Coconut Or Green Gram Curry Without Using Coconut is another yummy preparation of a gravy using green grams (cherupayar also known as pachai payar) which makes a great ozhichu curry for rice or makes a very yummy side dish for puttu, chapathi, dosa or idli!
Following the above recipes, you may also try to prepare ozhichu curry for rice using other lentils or leafy vegetables whatever you like.
- Drumstick Leaves Curry With Coconut, Red Cowpeas (Vanpayar) and Spices makes a very healthy, yummy and easy to make one post gravy or ozhichu curry for rice. Drumstick leaves are very healthy and you can make this Kerala style ozhichu curry using drumstick leaves to be enjoyed with rice (or dosa or chapathi as you like) for a simple and healthy vegetarian lunch or dinner.
Many popular Kerala style ozhichu curry recipes use a delicious combination of yogurt, coconut and spices mixed together along with vegetables like sour raw or cooked green mangoes, cucumber etc.
I most frequently prepare a very simple and delicious yogurt ozhichu curry recipe for rice which goes great with Kerala style lunch or dinners along with some simple side dish like cabbage thoran, brinjal stir fry etc. They are delicious, easy to prepare and they have the authentic Kerala taste.
Other than these popular yogurt or coconut based ozhichu curry recipes for Kerala vegetarian lunch or dinner, you can also find lots of different kinds of ozhichu curries for rice like sambar, rasam, theeyal etc to name a few. I will add more posts on these recipes in my blog in future and I will link to them in this article as I add them.
Many of these recipes use a combination of lentils and vegetables along with exotic spices. These ozhichu curry for rice recipes are great for chapathi, dosa etc as well if you like the flavor of the gravy. You have a lot of choices in Kerala vegetarian recipes, its just a matter of finding what is your favorite flavor and what you likes the best.
- I have this tomato curry for chapathi recipe here which is basically an easy tomato ozhichu curry which is usually served with chapathis, but you can use this for rice as well.
I hope you can learn the basics of Kerala style ozhichu curry from these recipes and then try different combinations of different kind of vegetables, lentils, yogurt and spices to make your own favorite ozhichu curry for rice.
Hope you find this post on ozhichu curry for rice useful in helping you to prepare Kerala ozhichu curry recipes for simple and authentic Kerala style vegetarian lunch or dinner.