Paneer masala rice is very delicious and spicy, but you can always adjust the spices based on your preferences.
We lightly fry the paneer slices before making the masala paneer which is then added to the rice and sauteed onions and blended with spices.
If you like paneer rice dishes, see paneer carrot masala pulao recipe here.
This unique Indian style masala rice with paneer makes a very rich and delicious rice dish perfect for any filling lunch or dinner.
You can make this paneer masala rice for any potluck or dinner parties and serve with fresh yogurt or any raita (Indian style yogurt salad) like onion raita, tomato onion raita etc.
The stir fried/sauteed onions, lightly fried paneer and spices like garam masala powder are what that make this paneer masala rice so delicious but as I said earlier, you may slightly adjust the spices based on your preferences.
Paneer is Indian cottage cheese which you can make at home from fresh whole milk.
Paneer is very delicious and used in a lot of recipes including rice dishes, curry recipes, stir fries, appetizers etc.
Another very delicious and easy to make paneer carrot pulao recipe is here.
See below some easy, delicious paneer recipes in this blog:
- Easy palak paneer recipe
- How to roast paneer in oven
- Dry masala paneer recipe
- Paneer carrot masala stir fry recipe
- Easy quick paneer curry recipe
- Easy Matar Paneer Recipe (Peas Paneer Curry)
So here is how you can make this delicious masala rice with paneer following this paneer masala rice recipe.
Paneer Masala Rice Recipe Below
Paneer Masala Rice Recipe, How To Make Masala Rice With Stir Added Fried Paneer
- 400 grams Paneer sliced into cubes
- 1.5 cups white basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- salt as needed
- 1 stick fresh celery
- 3 large onions
- 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 4 green chilies adjust to your preference
- 4 dry red chilies broken
- 2 teaspoons garam masala powder
- 3 tablespoons ghee or butter
- ¼ cup oil or use as needed to fry paneer slices
- 1 cup raw cashews
- Wash the rice and transfer it to a pan or pot, add water and enough salt, cook for about 10 minutes or until water is all absorbed and the rice is cooked and soft. Gently fluff the cooked rice with a fork and keep the cooked rice aside.
- Peel the onions and slice thinly, keep the sliced onions aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a large pan or skillet, and add the chopped onions.
- Stir fry the onions with enough salt, for several minutes, stirring in between, until the onions are lightly browned. This will take around 15 to 20 minutes at least. It will be more delicious if you stir fry the onions for more time (no need to caramelize though that will be even more delicious).
- Meanwhile chop the celery in small pieces, keep aside.
- Once the onions are browned, add the ginger garlic paste and also green chilies, stir fr for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the spices - turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala powder to the onions, and stir fry for another 2 more minutes.
- Add the chopped celery also to the onion masala, stir well and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. Now the onion masala with spices and celery is ready. Keep this prepared onion masala aside.
- Heat enough oil in a pan and shallow fry the paneer cubes until the paneer cubes are lightly golden brown in color. Transfer the fried paneer also to the onion masala and mix everything well until the paneer is well coated with the masala, if needed you may add more salt and mix everything well.
- Transfer the prepared onion masala with fried paneer to the cooked rice, mix everything well until the rice is well blended with the onion masala. Keep this aside.
- In a separate pan, add the remaining one tablespoon of ghee and lightly fry the broken dried red chilies and cashews. The cashews will turn golden brown in color which will make it so delicious.
- Add the fried cashews and chilies to the prepared rice (along with the ghee used to fry the cashews and red chilies) and stir everything well.
- Cover the pan and cook the contents in low heat for about 2 to 3 minutes until everything is well combined and you can just feel the flavor. If you have an iron skillet, you can heat the iron skillet and keep the covered pan on top of the heated skillet and cook in medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes instead of cooking it separately, which will make it even more delicious.
Hope you found this post on paneer masala rice helpful in making delicious masala rice with paneer for lunch or dinner.
Leave a Reply