This is an easy potato masala for rice with onions and spices which can be easily made and it goes great with rice for lunch or dinner.
This is different from the potato masala curry here, which too can be enjoyed with rice, as this one uses onions in the preparations and it is made without gravy.
This potato masala for rice is not dry though, it has quite a very thick masala like gravy with coats the potatoes and onions and so you can easily enjoy it with rice even if its the only dish to go with rice.
It is also different from this potato kootu curry for rice here, which too is made without gravy, but this one is different as we do not use coconut milk in the preparation of this dish, unlike the traditional potato kootu curry recipe.
This easy one pot potato masala recipe is made with two main ingredients - potatoes and onions. I didn't saute the onions early as we usually do with onion based recipes.
I added the chopped potatoes and onions together and it worked out fine. If you prefer a little sauteed or browned onions, you can saute the onions first and then add the potatoes.
This curry doesn't have much gravy but it is well coated in masala and it goes great with rice but it is also very good as a side dish for Indian style breads like nan, chapati or even dosa. It is very easy to make and delicious too.
So here is how I made this easy and tasty potato masala for rice following this easy recipe for potato masala with onions and spices.
Potato Masala For Rice South Indian Kerala Style Recipe
- Potatoes 2 medium
- Onion 1 large
- Coconut oil 2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- dry red chilies a few broken
- Curry leaves a few
- Salt as required
- Water a little to sprinkle
- Turmeric powder ½ teaspoon
- red chili powder ½ teaspoon
- coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder ½ teaspoon
- Chop the potatoes into equal sized cubes, chop the onion in medium sized pieces and keep them aside.
- Heat a kadai or a wide pan ( if there is any water in the pan, make sure it is all evaporated before) and add the mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the broken dried red chilies and curry leaves, fry for a few seconds.
- Add the diced potatoes and onions to the pan.
- Add the oil and coat well, then cook in very low flame keeping the pan opened.
- Meanwhile add salt and mix well.
- Sprinkle little water over the potato onion mixture in the pan, close the pan and cook in low flame for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- After 10 to 12 minutes, open the pan and mix the ingredients well.
- Add the spices - turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder and then stir everything well using a spatula.
- Let it cook in the open pan in low flame for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and your delicious and simple dry potato masala is ready to serve!
Hope you found this post on potato masala for rice helpful in making easy and yummy South Indian style potato masala for rice for a delicious and easy vegetarian lunch or dinner.
Leave a Reply