Authentic Pulissery Recipe Kerala Style – Moru Curry/Moru Kachiyathu With Coconut – South Indian Yogurt/Buttermilk Curry With Coconut & Spices
Pulissery recipe Kerala style with coconut is a simple, yummy and traditional Kerala style buttermilk curry recipe also known as moru curry or moru kachiyathu. This pulissery recipe is very easy and simple to prepare but I have a more easy and simple version of this pulissery recipe or moru curry recipe without coconut where we only use diluted yogurt and spices to make the curry.
Pulissery or moru curry is served with rice for lunch or dinner along with other vegetable side dishes and pickles. Pulissery is also one of the important recipes for Kerala style feast known as sadya, and so this is an important dish for Onam sadya where Onam is the most important Kerala festival. However this dish is so simple to prepare and it is also enjoyed as an everyday dish with rice for lunch or dinner in Kerala households.
In this traditional pulissery recipe or moru curry recipe, which is still very simple & easy to follow, we also use grind coconut mix to add more exotic flavor to the dish. While the simple moru curry without coconut is more easy to make (even easier than this one), this traditional moru curry recipe with coconut needs less yogurt for the gravy as we also use coconut to add thickness to the dish.
If you like to add coconut, you can follow the traditional moru curry recipe or pulissery recipe I am going to explain here. If you have more yogurt at home, but if you don’t have coconut or if you don’t want to use coconut for any reason, you can follow this easy moru curry recipe without coconut here.
As I mentioned, this is the traditional and authentic puliseery/pulisseri recipe with coconut so here is how we can make it. There are actually few different ways you can make this moru curry with coconut. You can directly use buttermilk which can be flavored with spices and grind coconut or you can follow the recipe I am presenting here where you blend the coconut with water and then add spices along with thick yogurt, which is more easy I think.
So here is the pulissery recipe with coconut.
Below you can see the image of moru curry or pulissery with coconut served as side dish with rice for lunch.
Pulissery Recipe Kerala Style – Traditional Kerala Moru Curry With Coconut
Makes 4 to 5 servings
Ingredients for pulissery recipe Kerala style
- Grated or Shredded Coconut 2 Cups
- Water 2.5 Cups
- Thick Yogurt 1 Cup
- turmeric 1 teaspoon
- red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- fenugreek seeds powder 1/2 teaspoon
- cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
Instructions for pulissery recipe Kerala style
- Blend together coconut, cumin seeds and water until smooth.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the red chilies, curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the grind coconut mix to the seasoning we made, and mix well. Keep the heat in low.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and fenugreek powder to the pan and mix everything well.
- Cook on medium heat for few minutes until the mixture is hot and bubbles are about to form. Stir in between.
- Switch off the stove and keep the pan away from heat. You shouldn’t boil the mixture as it will change the texture and flavor of the dish. Just heating enough to make the coconut mixture hot is enough, so you should remove the pan from the stove just before it starts to boil.
- In a bowl, mix the yogurt using a spoon so as to avoid any lumps.
- Add the yogurt to the coconut mixture and stir the contents very well.
- The traditional Kerala style pulissery or moru curry is ready to serve!
- Enjoy the dish with rice for lunch or dinner along with other side dishes or pickles.
Hope you found this post on pulissery recipe Kerala style helpful!