Punjabi baingan bharta recipe is so delicious and authentic Indian recipe using eggplants. We use the large eggplant in this recipe to make this yummy curry which is vegan/vegetarian curry perfect to be served with rice for lunch or dinner.
This is a curry made using oven roasted eggplants, spices etc and it is also a popular side dish served with Indian breads like nan, chapathi, poori etc.
You can also use this as a side dish with chapathi, poori or you can use this as spread with toast.
Punjabi baingan barta recipe is very popular through out India and it is one of the most popular Indian eggplant recipes ever. The secret to the best punjabi baingan barta recipe is well roasted eggplant which has a creamy and soft inside and we will only scoop out the flesh from the roasted eggplant to make this yummy dish.
So it is very important to roast the eggplant until its very well roasted and the inside is soft and you can easily peel off the skin or scoop out the flesh without any difficulties.
For the gravy, first we saute the onions and then add finely chopped tomatoes, both are cooked along with spices including garam masala powder and also the pulp of the roasted eggplant which all will make it so exotic and delicious.
Here is how you can make this easy and yummy punjabi style baingan bharta or roasted eggplant curry following this punjabi baingan bharta recipe.
Punjabi Baingan Bharta Recipe Below
Makes 2 servings
Punjabi Baingan Bharta Recipe - Indian Style Roasted Mashed Eggplant Gravy
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon ginger peeled and grated or crushed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 dry red chilies
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves (cilantro leaves) for garnishing
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit.
- Wash the eggplant, slice with knife over a few parts and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the eggplant is roasted very well. The skin of the eggplant will look wrinkled and may turn slightly pale and brown as it gets roasted. Oven temperatures can slightly vary and so the baking times also may slightly vary, so just keep an eye once its almost an hour of baking.
- Allow the roasted eggplant to cool down in the rack, while we prepare the onion tomato gravy for the dish.
- Peel and wash the onion, and slice the onion finely.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds are lightly fried, add the red chilies and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, crushed garlic and ginger and saute for another few minutes, about 8 to 10 minutes until the onions turn transparent in color.
- Chop the tomatoes in small pieces and add the chopped tomatoes to the sauteed onions in the pan.
- Cook the tomatoes by sauteing the contents for another 3 to 4 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked and blended with the onions.
- Meanwhile if the eggplant is cooled enough, transfer the roasted eggplant to a bowl, and gently scoop out the flesh discarding the skin.
- Add the eggplant pulp to the tomato onion mixture and mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cook in low heat for another 2 to 3 minutes until the eggplant is nicely blended with the onions and tomatoes in garlic and ginger.
- Add the remaining spices to the pan - turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder to the pan and saute the contents for another 2 more minutes. Baingan bharta or roasted eggplant curry is ready to serve!
Hope you found this post on Punjabi baingan bharta recipe helpful in making easy and yummy roasted eggplant curry for rice or chapathi or whatever you wish to serve it with!