Creamy restaurant style punjabi palak paneer recipe without cream, onion and tomatoes is very easy to prepare and you can quickly and easily make creamy restaurant style palak paneer (spinach paneer) curry or palak paneer ki sabji which makes a great side dish or gravy with rice or chapathi, poori, bhatura etc.
Punjabi palak paneer recipe or Indian style spinach paneer recipe (paneer is Indian style cottage cheese which is so delicious) is so popular and it is also a very delicious curry or gravy made of fresh spinach or palak leaves (you can also try this with frozen spinach leaves). See fresh vegan palak spinach soup recipe without cream here.
The authentic punjabi palak paneer recipe uses fresh cream which makes it so creamy and rich, but you can also make the creamy punjabi style palak paneer without cream.
Instead of fresh cream, we use raw cashew nuts to make the creamy gravy which adds the nutty flavor also to the dish, making it more healthy and delicious too (if you have fresh cream and also cashews at home, you can make the curry using cashews following the directions here and also add one or two tablespoons of fresh cream towards the end of the preparation if you wish to add some cream too, as adding cream will always be good for more flavor!).
However, even without adding cream, this palak paneer is so creamy as we make the base of the gravy using blended cashews and spinach.
Raw cashew nuts can also be used in many other curry recipes, to make the curry so creamy, rich in flavor and delicious without using cream. See my recipe here for coconut cashew gravy which will help you to make delicious and rich vegan gravies.
More Paneer Recipes In This Blog:
I also didn’t use onions or tomatoes to prepare the gravy for this palak paneer, however I used garlic and other few spices to add flavor to the curry.
So here is how you can prepare this delicious, creamy palak paneer curry following this punjabi palak paneer recipe.
Punjabi Palak Paneer Recipe Without Cream
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder optional
- Soak the cashews in enough water for about 15 minutes (or 30 minutes) in advance.
- Cut the paneer into small to medium sized cubes, keep aside.
- Wash the spinach leaves very well and transfer it to the blender.
- Add cashews (you can discard the water used for soaking the cashews) and 4 cups of water also to the blender and make a smooth mixture of cashew and spinach.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds, fry the cumin seeds lightly.
- Add the spinach cashew mixture to the pan, stir well.
- Add salt and ginger garlic paste, stir the contents again.
- Cook in medium heat until the mixture starts boiling, then reduce the heat to low and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes or until the mixture starts to separate from the oil.
- Add the sugar and spices -turmeric powder, red chili powder and also the black pepper powder to the pan, stir the mixture and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add the paneer cubes to the pan and cook the mixture for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Creamy and delicious palak paneer is ready to serve, enjoy the palak paneer hot with rice, chapathi or poori as you wish.
Palak paneer served with brown rice.
Hope you found this post on creamy restaurant style punjabi palak paneer recipe helpful in making easy and delicious punjabi style palak paneer without fresh cream.