Rajma chawal recipe refers to rajma curry that is served with rice and you can make Indian style rajma chawal which is delicious, healthy in quite a different number of ways.
The rajma chawal recipe with potatoes & carrots is not an authentic rajma chawal recipe but this is very yummy and healthy. This chickpea/channa masala recipe is another great dish that goes great with rice.
What Is Rajma Beans?
Rajma is red kidney beans which is very very high in protein and it is very beneficial especially for vegetarians and vegans as they provide a plant based source of protein for all those who follow a plant based diet mostly.
It is important to note that rajma or red kidney beans can be toxic in its raw form, so always make sure you cook them thoroughly for the best results and to avoid any mild toxicity. But please don’t stay away from this beans because of their toxicity in raw form, as the toxicity is completely gone when you cook them, and they become very nutritious and healthy.
Including cooked rajma or cooked red kidney beans in diet can help with weight loss as well, if you are including them as part of a healthy balanced vegetarian or vegan diet.
Is This Rajma Masala/Curry Vegan?
This rajma chawal recipe is not vegan as I have used fresh heavy cream to make this more yummy, but this is completely a vegetarian curry recipe. If you are vegan, you can omit the heavy cream or replace the heavy cream with coconut cream or cashew cream or even thick coconut milk.
How To Serve Rajma Curry?
This rajma curry known as rjama chawal makes the best side dish with rice (traditionally served with white rice, but you can try with brown rice as well to make it more healthy), however you can also use this rajam masala curry as a side dish for chapathi or dosa or idli for breakfast or dinner as well.
How To Make Rajma Curry Using Dried Rajma Beans (Dried Red Kidney Beans)?
I used fresh tomato gravy blended with spices to make this rajma masala curry gravy.
Rajma or red kidney beans in its dry form needs soaking for hours like 6 to 7 hours at least prior to cooking. You can soak the rajma overnight for best results.
If you are using canned red kidney beans you don’t have to do the soaking. I used dry rajma in this recipe, so we are going to see the complete method of cooking the rajma chawal starting from the soaking of rajma (red kidney beans).
So here is how you can make this rajma chawal with potatoes and carrots following this easy rajma chawal recipe with mixed vegetables.
Rajma Chawal Recipe With Vegetables – Rajma Masala Curry Gravy Recipe
- Red kidney beans dry 2 Cups
- water 5 Cups (plus more for soaking the beans)
- salt as required
- tomatoes 3 to 4
- garlic crushed 2 teaspoons
- green chilies 1 sliced lengthwise
- potatoes 3
- carrots 1
- heavy cream 1/4 cup
- turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- coriander powder 2 tablespoons
- garam masala powder 2 teaspoons
- cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- red chilies a few
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Wash the red kidney beans and soak in enough water (the beans will enlarge in size, so use enough water) for at least 6 to 7 hours or overnight for best results.
- After soaking, drain the water used for soaking the beans and lightly rinse the beans again in fresh water, keep the washed beans aside.
- Peel the potatoes & carrots and chop into small sized pieces,keep aside.
- Blend the tomatoes with the water to make a smooth tomato puree.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the cumin seeds and red chilies.
- Add the red kidney beans (rajma), potatoes and carrots to the pan and stir well. You can stir fry the contents in low heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add the salt, sliced green chilies, garlic and mix well.
- Add the tomato puree and all the spices to the pressure cooker and mix the contents well.
- Close the pressure cooker with the lid and safety valve and cook for about 4 to 5 whistles or about 12 to 15 minutes.
- After cooking for about 15 minutes, switch off the stove and wait for the pressure cooker to cool down.
- Once the cooker is cool enough, open the cooker and see if the rajma (red kidney beans) is cooked enough and soft and if there is enough gravy. If you think the rajma needs to be more soft, you can cover the cooker and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes if you wish.
- Add the fresh heavy cream to the rajma chawal and stir well to mix with the gravy.
- Rajma chawal gravy or rajma masla curry is ready to serve!
- Serve the delicious rajma chawal or rajma masala curry with rice for lunch or dinner! You can also serve this rajma masala curry as a side dish with dosa, idli, or chapathi for breakfast or dinner.
Hope you found this post on rajma chawal recipe or rajma masala curry recipe helpful!