This is a very easy rice pudding recipe with cooked rice or leftover rice.
If you have some leftover rice or cooked rice from your dinner last night and you quickly need some dessert for you while you really don’t want to cook anything at all, this is the ideal situation where this rice pudding recipe leftover rice comes very useful.
This rice pudding or Indian rice kheer in microwave using cooked leftover rice is actually a quick fix to help you when you are really in a hurry and you need something sweet.
Please don’t think this is the actual rice pudding recipe or rice kheer recipe, this is an easy way or easy quick fix for a dessert which is also a microwave rice pudding using the leftover rice.
Even though this is a quick fix using leftovers, I wanted to share this one since it makes a very yummy and easy rice pudding using leftover rice.
Sometimes my kids maybe fussy and they ask for something sweet and sometimes they really do ask the kheer pudding, especially if it is very recently that I have made the actual kheer pudding.
So I sometimes quickly fix this to satisfy my kids which often works. It doesn’t mean I prepare this often, but this has helped me when I really wanted something sweet for my kids.
I recommend using sweetened condensed milk for this recipe, as it will make the pudding more flavorful and thick as needed.
But you may also use ground almond meal or unsalted nut butters like almond butter or cashew butter along with sugar. In the recipe, I have used sweetened condensed milk so I am not using any extra sugar, but if you are not using sweetened condensed milk, make sure you add two tablespoons of sugar.
If you skip using condensed milk or almond meal or nut butters, the pudding will be still yummy but will be of more liquid like consistency.
So let us see how to make this Indian rice pudding recipe leftover rice.
Makes 1 serving
- Cooked rice 1/2 cup
- Whole milk 1 Cup (or more if needed after the preparation is over)
- Sweetened Condensed Milk 2 to 3 tablespoon
(if you don’t have sweetened condensed milk, use Ground almond or almond meal 1 tablespoon and 2 tablespoons of sugar as this will help thicken the pudding instantly)
- cardamom powder a pinch (optional)
- saffron 1 to 2 strands (optional)
- Ghee or melted unsalted butter 1 teaspoon
- Raisins a few
- Cashew nuts a few
- If using raisins and cashew nuts, add the ghee or melted butter to a microwave safe bowl or mug and add the raisins and cashew nuts, mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the same bowl or mug – cooked rice,milk, sweetened condensed milk (or almond meal and sugar), cardamom powder and saffron and mix everything well.
- Microwave for about 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, mix the ingredients in the mug with a spoon and microwave again for 30 seconds.
- The instant rice pudding using leftover rice is done, just wait for the pudding to cool down.
Serve the Indian rice pudding or instant microwave kheer from leftover rice while it is still warm, enjoy!
Notes: To make this rice pudding recipe leftover rice more delicious, we have used 2 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk (avoided sugar in that case)
Another option to quickly thicken the dessert is to use unsalted cashew butter or almond butter or use ground almond meal as mentioned earlier, but make sure you are using the unsalted butter if you are using any nut butters 🙂
Hope you will find this quick rice pudding recipe leftover rice helpful!