Sambar for idli, dosa or rice can be made in a variety of ways and most of them are very easy sambar recipes.
South Indian sambar recipes are perfect healthy vegetarian side dish for rice for lunch or dinner and all sambar variety (different sambar recipes) are perfect side dish for idli or dosa for breakfast as well.
Sambar is also used along with snacks like vada in South India.
The best thing with sambar is that it is one of the most healthy vegetarian dishes made with a combination of healthy lentils, vegetables and spices.
As I already metioned, there is no one single recipe for sambar as sambar is made in many different ways using different vegetables and ingredients and even different lentils.
Mostly we use the yellow pigeon peas known as toor dal to prepare sambar. But we can also make sambar using other healthy lentils like yellow mung beans known as moong dal.
You can make authentic sambar based on the traditional way or you can follow easy sambar recipes which can be made in pressure cooker so quickly even on busy mornings.
One tip to make sambar preparation easy is to cut the vegetables and store in advance so you can just throw them in together to make the sambar when you are busy.
So here is a collection of different varieties of easy sambar recipes which can be served along with rice, dosa or idli for lunch, dinner, breakfast or even snack.
Sambar recipes are healthy vegetarian as well as vegan recipes. So even if you are following a vegan diet, you can try sambar in your diet (unless mentioned specifically in any of the individual recipes).
This post will contain links to all sambar recipes in my blog. As I add more sambar recipes in my blog, I will link to those recipes from here.
So here you go!
Sambar Varieties – Sambar Recipes Collection
- Easy Vegetable Sambar Recipe In Pressure Cooker is made of mixed vegetables, spices and yellow pigeon peas perfect as side dish for idli, rice or dosa and it can be prepared really easy and you can cut the vegetables in advance to make it even more quick.
- Authentic Sambar Recipe is the traditional way of making sambar which explains to you the original way of making this delicious and healthy vegetarian South Indian dish.
- Easy Tomato Sambar Recipe is made without tamarind and it so delicious and easy to prepare. As you can guess,we use fresh tomatoes to make this sambar, and its extremely tasty when blended with the spices and lentils and when finally garnished with cilantro leaves!
- Tomato Moong Dal Sambar Recipe is made using fresh tomatoes and yellow mung beans (moong dal) which is a very healthy protein packed lentil variety and this tomato sambar is quick and easy to prepare which goes great with rice, dosa or idli.
- Potato Sambar Recipe is made using lots of potatoes which makes it extra yummy (especially if you love potatoes) with spices and lentils. This is great side dish for dosa, idli and rice.
- Very Easy Sambar Recipe Without Vegetables where you can make a very simple, easy and quick sambar just using lentils and spices. We do not add any vegetables in this sambar recipe, so the recipe is very very simple with less work (as we don’t have to cut vegetables for this sambar) and you can enjoy this easy quick sambar for idli, dosa or rice.
Hope you found this post on sambar varieties – easy sambar for idli, dosa, rice helpful!