This shredded cabbage stir fry recipe is a vegetarian/vegan South Indian style cabbage stir fry recipe, so this is obviously an Asian cabbage stir fry recipe.
This is in fact a Kerala style cabbage stir fry recipe where Kerala is a South Indian state where it is also known as cabbage mezhukkupuratti where mezhukkupuratti means lightly stir fried with a few spices.
This dish goes as a yummy side dish with rice for vegetarian lunch or dinner.
In Kerala cabbage thoran recipe is also popular where it is made with coconut but this dish don’t use coconut. In fact thoran is generally made with coconut while mezhukkupuratti is made without coconut.
This shredded cabbage stir fry recipe is super easy to make and it is delicious.
You can serve it with rice along with any other curry like this yogurt curry (moru curry) or this more simple yogurt curry (moru curry without coconut) or any sambar of your choice.
You may also enjoy it with rice and any other vegetarian gravy and pickles if you like.
When we say shredded cabbage stir fry recipe, we should not shred it finely like we can do for this cabbage stir fry with coconut.
For this shredded cabbage stir fry recipe, it is always better shred as little medium sized pieces, you can easily do this with a regular knife or if you are doubling or tripling the recipe so you have more cabbage to shred, you can easily shred it by processing through the shredding disc of a good quality blender.
Whatever way you choose to shred the cabbage, just roughly shred it and you are good to go!
So here is how I made this yummy cabbage stir fry following this shredded cabbage stir fry recipe.
More cabbage recipes in this blog:
Shredded Cabbage Stir Fry Recipe Below
Shredded Cabbage Stir Fry
- 1/4 medium sized Cabbage
- 1 green chili chopped, optional
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 4 dry red chilies broken
- 1 string curry leaves make sure there is no water content
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- Shred the cabbage using a knife or you can shred it using a food processor or cabbage shredder (don't shred too finely) and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the broken dry red chilies and curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Add the shredded cabbage and saute for about a minute.
- Add the chopped green chilies and salt and mix well.
- Cook in low to medium heat for about 4 to 5 minutes or until the cabbage is lightly fried and cooked enough. I have only 1/4th of a cabbage so it gets cooked fast, if you are using more cabbage and doubling or tripling the recipe, you will need to cover and cook the cabbage for few more minutes until the cabbage is cooked enough.
- As soon as the cabbage is cooked, you can add the spices - turmeric powder, red chili powder and cumin seeds powder and mix well with the cabbage.
- Stir fry the cabbage mixed with the spices for another 1 to 2 minutes in low heat so that the cabbage gets nicely blended with the spices. The cabbage stir fry is ready to serve, you can serve it with rice and any vegetarian curry for lunch or dinner, enjoy!