Easy Simple Tomato Rice Recipe – One Pot Tomato Rice Recipe – Easy One Pot Vegetarian Rice Dish For Lunch & Dinner
Simple tomato rice recipe is easy to follow and you can make yummy and healthy tomato rice with green peppers and onions for vegetarian/vegan lunch or dinner. We have this easy South Indian style masala tomato rice recipe which is very delicious as well, where we use exotic spices to make the tomato rice.
However in this very simple tomato rice recipe we are not using any spices other than garlic powder (you may add a few if you like), but we are making the rice just with veggies, fresh tomatoes being the main ingredient.
The flavoring of the rice is from tomatoes, garlic, sauteed onions and bell pepper and the rice has a light orange tint from the tomatoes used in cooking. We do not puree the tomatoes, but we just add the chopped tomatoes to the sauteed onions and cook this along with the rice.
You can make this easy tomato rice for lunch or dinner or you can pack this for a picnic or while you are traveling. This is a one pot meal and this dish is so quick and easy to make.
So here is how you can make this yummy and easy tomato rice following this simple tomato rice recipe.
I have used a green chili along with the green bell pepper, so it might be difficult to distinguish between the green chili and green bell pepper. The green chili can be very spicy as well, so avoid using green chili if you are making for kids, or if you don’t prefer spicy food. In brief, use the green chili only if you like spicy food.
Simple Tomato Recipe With Bell Pepper
Ingredients for simple tomato recipe with bell pepper
- Tomatoes 4
- green bell pepper 1
- onions 2
- green chilies 1 sliced lengthwise (avoid if giving for kids or if you don’t want spicy)
- rice 1.5 Cup
- water 3.5 Cups
- garlic powder 2 teaspoons
- salt as required
- oil 2 tablespoons
Instructions for simple tomato recipe
- Chop the tomatoes in medium sized pieces and keep aside.
- Remove the seeds from the green bell pepper and slice them evenly, keep this aside with tomatoes.
- Peel and slice the onions, keep this separately from tomatoes and bell pepper.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the sliced onions.
- Saute the onions till they are lightly browned which will take few minutes.
- Once the onions are lightly browned, add the bell peppers, tomatoes and sliced green chilies, mix well and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir fry the rice in low heat for another 1 minute.
- Add the salt and garlic powder, stir everything well.
- Add the water, mix everything once again and bring the mixture to a boil.
- As the mixture starts boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook in low heat for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the rice is cooked and soft and all water is absorbed.
- If there is any water left after the rice is cooked completely, you can increase the heat and cook with the pan open for about a minute or two, so the remaining water will be absorbed.
- Yummy and easy tomato rice is ready to serve!
Hope you found this post on simple tomato recipe helpful!